Wednesday, October 8, 2008

"Your eyes in your pocket and your nose on the ground..."

At left: On my way to do my errands today in the pouring rain... and what do I see?

BRIDGE OUT?! Oh dear God. This can't be happening.

And so, I did more driving today than originally intended. At these gas prices, we know more driving is just what the doctor ordered! What was expected to be a couple of hours turned into an entire afternoon. One tarot reading, one rescued parcel from the post office, an oil change and 4 new expensive tires later... here I am!

I had also intended lots of smart, snarky commentary regarding last night's presidential debate, particularly John McCain's nasty term "that one" (for Barack Obama)--but instead, will link what other smart folks are saying today:

That one indeed (Womanist Musings)

"That one" (Fetch Me My Axe)

The worst debate ever (Politico)

McCain’s 'that one' takes off online (Politico)

Too Close to "Boy" for my Taste (Feministe)

The Winner of Debate II? "That one" (Huffington Post)

McCain flip-flops on Mortgage Bailout for Homeowners (Crooks and Liars)

Is This Election the Major Historical Turning Point It Seems to Be? Yes (AlterNet)

I also listened to a few minutes of Rush Limbaugh in the car, as a caller named Amber in Michigan reassured everyone that the polls mean nothing. People say one thing to pollsters, but Amber is confident that when they get in the privacy of the voting booth, they will do the right thing. People will "come to their senses" soon, she told Rush, who replied that you should never underestimate how many stupid people there are. Ohhh, I heartily concur.

The racial subtext and dog-whistling from the callers on Rush's show was so deafening, I had to flip the radio over to something calming, like Tool.

----------------
Listening to: Grateful Dead - I Know You Rider
via FoxyTunes