Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Listen up!

Yeah, running waaaay behind... I guess these were supposed to be posted on MUSIC MONDAY, but I find that I get those sorts of things terribly confused. (Who decided on this stuff, anyway?)

Sorry for getting my blogging-traditions all tangled up! Hopefully, you will find at least one song you enjoy.

...

Below, Wishbone Ash, which is one of the all-time great rock-band names.

I wish they'd lasted a little longer, because I love that name.

In my dreams everything was all right...

~*~

Blowin Free - Wishbone Ash (1973)



~*~

I can guarantee that this won't last long, and the powers-that-be will likely yank it by nightfall. So, have a look NOW! It's from the old Midnight Special vault, currently selling as a box-set for astronomical amounts of money. (But I want it FREE.)

I don't know what's more amazing, Johnny Thunders' guitar, David Johansen leaping about on those deadly platform shoes and screaming like a maniac (meant in a good way), or Jerry Nolan, the drummer who actually came to party of mine once... possibly the highlight of my life and I didn't even know it. (Jerry Nolan, Johnny Thunders, Arthur 'Killer' Kane, R.I.P.)

Talkin bout PERS-ON-ALITY, YEAH YEAH YEAH!!

Personality Crisis - The New York Dolls (1973)



~*~

Just finished the fabulous history by Sheila Weller titled Girls Like Us, about the lives of Carole King, Joni Mitchell and Carly Simon. Gossip in triplicate! Highly recommended by DEAD AIR!

And it reminded me of all the cool songs by these wonderful wimminz. The book actually goes into details of what the songs were about, who inspired them, etc.

Interesting detail: Weller reports that they knew the following song would be a hit when secretaries at the record company started making copies of the demo for themselves.

When lots of us first heard it, we just stopped dead in our tracks. Calling it a "woman's song" is something of an understatement.

BTW, will you just LOOK at her? Natural beauty, totally stunning. We all wanted SO BADLY to look like Carly! (sigh)

That's the way I've always heard it should be - Carly Simon (1972)



~*~

Of course, you all know that Carole King was writing hits when she was freaking 17 years old! An unbelievable protege and talent, as well as a national treasure.

She also liked to get married as many times as my mother. As her songs always made clear--a born-romantic, always starry-eyed, swooning and idealistic.

My God, I love this song with a passion--any version, by anybody. The line, "Tonight the stars put on a show for free," illustrated the way I always felt about the radio, that magic place where I first encountered Carole's immense talent as a wee one.

Up on the Roof - Carole King (first version by the Drifters in 1962, I don't know what year this live version was recorded)



~*~

Listen to this voice effortlessly soar into the stratosphere, almost as if she were singing to herself in the shower or something. Bloody incredible.

Will you take me as I am?

California - Joni Mitchell (1970)