Sunday, June 8, 2008

Quirky Sunday

Left: Beautiful petunias, at the SC Farmers Market this weekend.

~*~

I was tagged (by Jojo) with a quirky meme!

Six quirky things about me:

1) My diet is extremely quirky, and at various times in my life I have likely qualified for orthorexia (obsession with healthy food). I won't eat meat or anything with meat in it, which may or may not qualify as quirky. I usually won't eat anything cooked without something raw added to it. I am currently progressing to a 75% raw diet; I'm at about 50% currently. (Yes, I do suspend the raw/cooked rules when eating out, as well as for vacations, holidays and other special events/occasions, etc. This has succeeded in making these occasions even MORE special, which is a nice bonus.) I also daily partake of drinks like acai juice, kombucha, tulsi tea, aloe vera and other weird stuff. (And I don't care what anyone says, pure noni is gross.)

All of this taken together, probably qualifies as major quirkiness.

2) JoJo admits she talks to herself a lot, and yes, I do too.

3) I sing the guitar parts of songs, if I know them. You've heard of air guitar? I do vocal guitar: Weeee-oooowrunggggg. I try not to be too obnoxious with this, but it's become a sort of personal signature.

4) I would shock all of you if I told you how many supplements I take. It's way out of hand. I've tried to pare it down to essentials like L-Carnitine and antioxidants, you know, IMPORTANT stuff, but invariably, I find everything important. Hey, it's my JOB, okay? (As a result, I also get most of these supplements as free samples and promotions, which is how it all started.)

I could probably stop any time I want! ;)

5) Extreme superstition, which I have methodically and purposefully channeled into (more respectable) religion. Lots of magical thinking. I believe in omens, signs, dreams predicting the future, all that stuff. (I do read the Tarot, after all.) After 50 years, I can assure you: I could not NOT be this way, even if I wholeheartedly wanted to. (PS: I have tried.)

Vanessa (atheist) believes atheism/general lack of belief is a particular "bent" or temperament that some people have, and conversely, that metaphysical belief/mysticism is a "bent" that some people have. I totally understand and appreciate this view. When I have not been consciously religious in my lifetime, I have been virtually ruled by superstition and a genuine fear of fate. If I didn't channel this deep, very strong impulse into something rational (by comparison) and culturally recognizable, I would be a mess. Religion is my catch-all for my various forms of magical thinking, and as they say, it works for me.

I sometimes encounter atheists that I think are forcing themselves to be strictly rational, and even more religious people that I think are forcing themselves to Go By the Book. I wanna say to them: lighten up, and go with what's right for you. You can't force any of that, in my humble opinion.

When you see a shooting star, do you close your eyes and involuntarily make a wish? (Then feel silly afterwards for doing it?) If so, you know what I mean. If you don't, you won't get it.

6) I find it almost impossible to watch a movie without reading at least one review of it. (PS: this doesn't apply to television and never has!) I don't even have to agree with the review, I just have to read it. I can't even tell you how many SPOILERS I have read, over the years. (Certain reviewers, I learned to avoid, because they didn't seem to be able to restrain themselves--yes, I'm looking at you, Roger Ebert!) Mr Daisy thinks it's the most wacko thing I do. (He shares several of my other quirks, you should know.)

This quirk has gotten exponentially worse with the advent of the net, since there are online reviews of every movie ever made... Occasionally, back in the day, I was forced to watch a movie WITHOUT first reading the review, but that hasn't happened in well over a decade.

~*~


Here are the Rules:

1. Link the person(s) who tagged you.
2. Mention the rules on your blog.
3. Tell about 6 unspectacular quirks of yours.
4. Tag 6 following bloggers by linking them.
5. Leave a comment on each of the tagged blogs letting them know they’ve been tagged.

I tag the aforementioned Vanessa, as well as Renegade Evolution, white rabbit, Rootie, Shadocat and Nexy!

(If yall don't wanna do it, no problem.)

----------------
Listening to: Grateful Dead - Cassidy
via FoxyTunes