Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Wordless Wednesday: The Big Chicken

Apologies to my vegetarian/vegan readers! This is a famous landmark in Cobb County, Georgia, and this past weekend, I finally got a photo of it.

Of course, like everything else, it has it's own Wikipedia entry:

The Big Chicken is a Kentucky Fried Chicken restaurant in Marietta, Georgia, which features a 56-foot-tall (17 m) steel-sided structure designed in the appearance of a chicken rising up from the top of the building. It is located at the city's biggest intersection of Cobb Parkway (U.S. 41) and Roswell Road (former Georgia 120) and is a well-known landmark in the area.
The Big Chicken was built in 1956, and almost came down in 1993:
In January 1993, storm winds damaged the structure, and rather than tear it down KFC was forced by public outcry to re-erect the building. Among those who complained about the Big Chicken being torn down were pilots, who actually used the building as a reference point when approaching Atlanta and Dobbins Air Reserve Base.[...] The Big Chicken is commonly used as a landmark for driving directions. Locals will often include "make a [turn] at the Big Chicken", or "it's about X miles past the Big Chicken". Even prior to its geographic coordinates being added to Wikipedia, it was automatically marked on Google Maps.

It has also led to a small cottage industry of sorts, selling souvenirs emblazoned with the monument, including one sweatshirt showing Big Ben in London, the Eiffel Tower in Paris, the Colosseum in Rome, and of course, the Big Chicken in Marietta.
My next goal is to get me one of those shirts! :)

14 comments:

fickleinpink said...

love your post!..and the info that goes with it!
have a great week!
Come visit my Wednesday if you have the time!
Life is beautiful!
Xoxo
fickle

Marion said...

Do you know, I've even heard of The Big Chicken? Even way up here in the Cariboo! I never knew what or where it was, so thank you, Daisy, for clearing that up!

I wouldn't want him torn down either...it sounds as if he's become a landmark to many.

JoJo said...

I LOVE it!!!! I've never dined at KFC, but I am a staunch believer in preserving Americana & kitsch like this. Kudos to the company for fixing it!!

hämorhoiden said...

I live in Europe but I heard about Kentucky fried chicken millions of times. Must be something you got over there.

Laura said...

I am from the county where KFC started ...we even have the world chicken Fest...so I loved your pic!

thene said...

I've been past there a fair few times! I think my opinion of it began at LOLWUT and has slid towards endearment. :)

Having such a corporate public landmark seems quintessentially American, you know?

TexasRed said...

Fantastic pic and story! I haven't seen this, but could understand the public outcry at it being destroyed.

I've got pics of our pet prairie dog over on my page: TexasRed Books

catsynth said...

That is a very distinctive building, glad that they decided to keep it.

Our WW is also architectural (though I suppose it usually is).

Daisy said...

I would love to have something iconic like that where I live!

Sara Katt said...

Great icon! I love chicken too! (We have "digged" it!)
Purrs
Sara Cat

P.S.
Actually, it is Anna who did WW yesterday. Please visit her blog at:
http://annasadornments.blogspot.com
I am blogging again after a vacation when Anna needed my help to do the NaBloPoMo-challenge.

Virginia S. Wood, PsyD said...

My understanding is that the building was a chicken-ranchers' co-op originally, selling eggs and baby chicks. Do you know if there's any truth to that?

When it's in good repair, they eyes roll and the beak opens and closes! Kitsch indeed.

Nat said...

Wow, that is so cool! Would love to see it in person. I wonder if it lights up at night?

Doc Anchovy said...

It doesn't, IMHO, hold a candle to the Doggie Diner signs in San Francisco. Now, there was some Americana for ya'.

BTW: The first ever franchised Kentucky Fried Chicken restaurant was and still is, in South Salt Lake City, Utah. I've been there for a couple buckets. I like the stuff but my doctor would kill me if I ate there ever again...

www.crearpaginaweb.com said...

Very useful piece of writing, much thanks for your post.