Saturday, December 12, 2009

Warren Haynes and Government Mule

Blurry Warren Haynes! Taken by very tall guy next to me.





As I promised on Facebook* (I am getting all of these online venues confused!), here are my thoroughly bad photos of Warren Haynes and Government Mule!

The free concert was Thursday night at the Bohemian Cafe, right next to Horizon Records. A yellow armband was required to get inside, and I got there too late to obtain one, thinking I could do my usual sneaking-in routine. Ha! Not hardly.

I tried anyway, since I was wearing a yellow long-sleeved shirt and thought I could fake out the cop. Nah. An ever-vigilant member of Greenville's Finest caught me. The cocky bravado I had as a youngun that would have allowed me to somehow bluff my way in (or stroll in like of course I owned the joint) has evaporated with the years. Instead, I huddled outside in the cold (I had oodles of company) and at one point, attempted to climb a bench and take pictures through the window (see below), only to fall on my ample (which is pretty lucky, in this case) ass. No harm but bruises. Since the beer was flowing pretty good, nobody paid attention to another falling photographer. The crowd in Horizon was enormous too, and only the tall people could see, so I enlisted one to take pictures; eh, not too great. (see above)

So, you will have to take my word for it.

Warren Haynes is an AMAZING guitarist, one of the best I have heard in person. The band sounded awesome, and rocked pretty good. I am thrilled I could hear em at last; loads of thanks to Gene Berger at Horizon for the freebie. A lovely holiday present!







They closed the cafe at 2:30pm and removed all the furniture, which was sitting outside. (I was still working when they started passing out the yellow armbands at around 3:30pm, so that wasn't really a possibility.) I don't recall a larger group there before. It was fun!

And I learned that one of my favorite droogs is now assistant manager of Horizon! Hi Shelley!

More free stuff, please; music for the people!









~*~

Below, the back of Warren's head, taken through the window ... mere seconds before I took a dive off the bench onto my well-padded behind. More bad photos HERE.
















~*~

*I started to feel neglected since everybody had more Facebook friends than me, so I am now endeavoring to catch up. Of course, the problem is, I am using my pseudonym, and some people do not know me by that name and I have to tell em who I am. Nonetheless, my goal was 100 friends by Christmas and I am now at 99, so that's good!

If you want to add me as a friend, go for it! (If you use a different name than the one you use on your blog or in comments, be sure to let me know.)