Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Wordless Wednesday (with commentary)

Due to some recent skirmishes in Blogdonia (check out last week's posts and comments for some of the particularly sordid details), I have been laying low and taking stock. Once again, trying to figure out exactly what I want from blogging and if indeed there is a "progressive community" to which I am accountable. Or not. (And if so, are they also accountable to me?)

I promise, more on South Carolina politics and other fascinating burble to come. In the meantime, doing some heavy thinking. (Like patting one's head and rubbing one's belly simultaneously, I find it hard to blog "lightly" while I am thinking heavy thoughts.) As of this second, my blog has 218,454 hits, and you know, that must count for something. Ain't quitting. Ain't skeered (official motto of DEAD AIR, as some of you know). But damn, I sure do get mixed up and confused easily. (Deciphering people's motives and intentions online is far more difficult, for me, than deciphering them in person.)

In the meantime, enjoy my springtime-dusk photo of the Richardson Street Parking garage. It's my favorite parking garage in the world, since it's the only one I never got lost in! :D

Love yas.


La Lubu said...

Daisy, take a deep breath and remember that a lot of what is the so-called progressive blogosphere represents a tiny fraction of the larger progressive movement in the U.S. It's just that online, the (relatively narrow culture you're referring to) sucks all the air out of the Internet Room---mostly because (a)they were "here" first (class-related!), (b)they incorporate the new tech first (again, class-related!), and (c)they have more free time (once more with a feeling---class-related!).

Seeing a pattern here? I find your blogging refreshing because it doesn't come from the same-old, same-old (Internet) viewpoint, because much of it is culturally/politically/ or generationally familiar to me, and because you just won't shut up, dammit! Keep talkin'. You make me believe I ain't alone out here---even when we may disagree.

sheila said...

You're one of a kind. That's a good thing.

Doc Anchovy said...

"Take what you need and leave the rest."

Amber Rhea said...

Accountability goes both ways. I get the impression from a lot of places I see it used around the blogosphere is that what the speaker really means is they want a certain person to be beholden to *their* whims.

JennyMac said...

Having your own voice is powerful and wonderful...keep it up!

JoJo said...

I can't believe that one topic from last week garnered 65 comments!!

Anywho, I hope you don't cut back b/c I do love coming here to read your stuff...even if I don't comment all the time, I do read your blog regularly.

Great picture too!

Joan Kelly said...

Hey - sorry if my email the other day added at all to your heavy heart/head right now.

mikeb302000 said...

Daisy, I feel partly responsible for that incredible wave of antagonism you experienced last week because the worst offenders reached you through me.

That antagonism if anything has heated up on my blog. I tried living without comment moderation for a couple weeks but I had to practically wrestle control of my own blog back from them. And now I'm moderating again.

The truth is I like it. Dealing with guys like Weer'd and Bob S. gives me that comfortable feeling of superiority that I like so much, I guess that's it.

Anyway, another thing I like about your blog is every once in a while you do stop to consider what it's all about and whether or not you want to keep doing it. I like that.

passinthru said...

New here. Suspect we have a lot in common. Going to read now. ;)

D. said...

It's always good to take a reality check on what you want to do.

Me, I like reading different people and pointing folks at stuff.

The last ten or so years have been rather an education in what divides people, sometimes in the face of efforts to bring them together. Sometimes I think we'd all be happier as hermits, except that we wouldn't because we have this need to be social-but-hermitty.

Greenearth said...

Love your blog.