Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Swine flu lesson: STOP BUTCHERING ANIMALS!!!!

The swine flu epidemic is all over the news. And I am wondering: how did a swine virus get into humans?

Now, why would we be associating with SWINE? Umm, let me guess.

I went to the CDC website and I am informed:

Swine flu viruses do not normally infect humans. However, sporadic human infections with swine flu have occurred. Most commonly, these cases occur in persons with direct exposure to pigs (e.g. children near pigs at a fair or workers in the swine industry). In addition, there have been documented cases of one person spreading swine flu to others. For example, an outbreak of apparent swine flu infection in pigs in Wisconsin in 1988 resulted in multiple human infections, and, although no community outbreak resulted, there was antibody evidence of virus transmission from the patient to health care workers who had close contact with the patient.
"Swine industry"--doncha love these half-assed euphemisms the pork industry employs? HA! Industry?!? You mean, the death industry?

Do you mean KILLING the swine, like, for meat?

Does this mean, none of this would be happening, if people didn't BUTCHER PIGS TO EAT?

(((pauses for dramatic effect))) (((lets this realization sink in))))

Eating meat is disgusting. Raising pigs for slaughter is GROSS. Factory farming is unnatural, filthy and horrific, and a sin before Almighty God. And when you mess with the almighty, this is the kind of thing that happens. (Will you meat-eaters learn from this, at long last?)

Why aren't news reports properly focusing on butchering animals for meat as the cause of this epidemic, rather than babbling about the Mexicans?

Ohhhh, probably because it's all carnivores reporting the news, hm?

More on the flu:

Mexican Schools Shut as Epidemic Hits 'Critical' Point (Washington Post)

Cases confirmed in Asia, Middle East as virus spreads beyond Mexico (MSNBC)

Swine Flu: Chicago's Mexican Community Prepares, School Bans Handshakes (Huffington Post)

H1N1 (Alas, a blog)

PS: Leave the pigs alone, and I bet we won't catch their nasty germs. How about it?

EDITED TO ADD (for strong stomachs only!): Swine Flu: Smithfield Foods' statement vs. the ugly truth (Cogitamus)


Daisy said...

My Mommie has been a vegetarian for about 15 years. She has a shirt with a picture of a cute little piglet that says "No, I don't have any spare ribs!"

Annie said...

not to mention the whole rendering debacle.. very spooky stuff.

Meowser said...

At least this is one thing they can't blame on us Jews.

So naturally, they blame the Mexicans instead. Classy.

It's just a matter of time, I guess, before some fat-hating media jerkwad somehow ties this to the "obesity epidemic." I can't wait. After all, if global warming is all our fault, why not this too?

While you're probably right about the origins of the swine flu, at this point it's way past that, if it's being spread by person to person contact.

Bwca Brownie said...

I had to sneer at the negative euphemism 'swine' when they mean pigs.
It's BACON McMuffin flu.
It's HAM sandwich flu.
Choke on it you meat-eaters and all you primary producers who are cruel to your livestock.


mikeb302000 said...

I don't chew on any animal flesh, myself. The longer I don't, the more unimaginable it becomes.

DaisyDeadhead said...

The pork industry is upset over the name "swine flu"--apparently, they don't care if anyone gets SICK though (from USA TODAY):

U.S. officials, particularly the agricultural department, were under pressure from the pork lobby that fears the term "swine flu" is confusing people into thinking they can catch the virus from pork, which they can't, the AP says.

Or as Pork News explains, the government believes that the term swine flu "might be catchy, but it's not accurate."

Israeli officials have also weighed in. This week, deputy Health Minister Yakov Litzman, who belongs to an ultra-Orthodox Jewish sect, suggested renaming swine flu as "Mexican flu," saying that the reference to pigs is offensive to Muslim and Jewish sensitivities over pork, The Guardian reports.

That, to no one's surprise, did not please the Mexican government, which quickly registered an official complaint, prompting Israel to back down.

Julian said...

Piggies sure are delicious though, flu or no.

jovan b. said...

This outbreak makes cheese pizza a common-sense thing for me to eat.

JoJo said...

I'm really tired of the media whipping us up into a paranoid frenzy over stuff like this. I'm not terribly worried about it, and I'm sure as hell not gonna stop eating pork (not that I eat it that often, but still).

Although I do have to agree w/ Jovan's "cheese pizza philosophy"!!

Scathing Indifference said...

I hope we at least ban these mass farming practices. Just reading about the pig shit lagoons was enough to sicken me, never living near them.

dick n vierz said...

we were just having a discussion about vegan/vegetarians on another list. I found the rhetoric (in the classical sense) in your post interesting in terms of that debate. Are you joking around -- or serious?

DaisyDeadhead said...

Dick, check the last link from Cogitamus. What do you think? Could such an environment be healthy?

Anonymous said...

What morons you people are. You can't become infected by eating pork unless you eat it raw! The germs and bacteria die once the meat is cooked above a certain temperature. Ask a doctor fools. So plants are living things too but it's ok to kill them and rip them from there roots to eat but not an animal? Kids will believe anything their parents say to be fact but the truth is kids that your parents don't know everything.

DaisyDeadhead said...

Hey anonymous asshole, did you check the Cogitamus link? Did you look at the photos? Do you call that sanitary conditions in which to butcher animals? If so, you are the fool.

And BTW--DO NOT COME here too cowardly to use your real name or profile, and expect me to pay any serious attention to your rude outburst. And learn to use commas. FOOLS are people too illiterate to write, and should keep their stupid asses off the internet.

And speaking of MORONS, try a proxy server next time, employee of Pavia & Harcourt, LLP in New york City. You're lucky I don't tell your lawyer-bosses you are wasting their time at work, dicking around on blogs... if in fact you are one of the actual lawyers employed at this establishment, and too stupid to know that you should not post anonymously on blogs... well, no wonder the judicial system is all fucked up, if idiots like you work in it.

Fuck off.

(Yes, that link is live and will come up during any internet search for your business. Aren't you sorry now, idiot? Stop eating meat and clogging your brain cells, FOOL.)

PS: Have a nice day! :)

dick n vierz said...

i ask about seriousness since you invoke "the almighty god". i know you're religious, i just didn't think that you would invoke sin and the almighty as if everyone should care about sinning, god, and almighty things.

i also ask since there's no reason slaughtering cattle, swine, chickens, turkeys, etc. has to be under factory farming conditions.

as for the filth, i grew up in farm country, know how to shoot deer, rabbit, turkey, duck, goose, and can skin racoons, muskrats, minks, and beaver. I know all about where meat comes from, gross, filth, etc.

i'm not a vegetarian and take seriously the work of people like Paul Roberts who has a very serious critique of the food industry, but recognizes that eating meat and animal products was very important to our evolutionary development.


I respect your choice to be vegetarian or vegan, don't get me wrong. I'm just surprised to read such universalizing claims about what's right and wrong based on your personal moral beliefs. I realize lots of people feel as you do, I was just surprised to read such universalizing, moralizing, religious pronouncements about it. I thought you had to be joking about that.

If not: de gustibus!

DaisyDeadhead said...

Dick, I am in the strange social position of being a radical, a feminist and a Christian, so I am profoundly aware my values are not shared by everyone. (!) However, when I feel something is morally wrong, a sin before Almighty God, I will say so. And I believe animal torture, as factory farming is, qualifies.

As you say, this is not only a vegetarian issue; factory farming is a relatively new invention in our history. I think killing animals for our own pleasure (pleasing palates counts) is wrong, but it also matters what kind of life the animal has had. That's why I think factory farming is morally worse than hunting, since the hunted animals at least had the chance to live an unfettered life, not a life of constant pain and fear.

I come from poor country people, although I grew up in the city. But in fact, my grandmother's experiences (she is the namesake of this blog) and stories of happy farm animals that she loved and took care of herself, greatly influenced my beliefs. (Eating their farm animals was a necessity and she never questioned that.)

I understand that factory farming and killing animals are two different issues; I claimed factory farming was the sin before God, and I do believe that. Animal (and human) torture is an abomination. Hunting, done properly (i.e. no traps) usually is not, or at least, doesn't have to be.

And yes, I generally condemn hunting as sport, but again, hunting purely for sport is also relatively recent in human history. Hunting used to be about the bottom line, survival. (If I had no food except a can of tuna, I guess I would have no choice.) I understand that people in some places on earth have no choice, also. My grandmother didn't.

berryblade said...

This is totally what I thought when I read about it as well.
It seems to be quite the common line of thinking with my group of friends ;)

Amanda said...

People with regular exposure to pigs are at increased risk of swine flu. More than 1100 people worldwide have died from swine flu since it emerged in Mexico and the US in April, according to the latest figures from the World.