Saturday, April 11, 2009

Spring break

Left: Sacred Heart of Jesus (stained glass) from St Mary's, oldest parish in Greenville, SC.


I am using the occasion of the Paschal Triduum to announce a blog-break, my first real break since DEAD AIR's inception. It's been a long time coming!

A great deal of this is spiritual, and I am now reflecting on exactly what I am doing with my blog, what I want it to accomplish, etc. When I return, I hope to make some stylistic changes and improvements here at DEAD AIR. (And BTW, yall can go vote for me over at the Canadian F-word awards!)

On a more personal note, I am not sure how much of myself and my life I can safely share, and how much I should ideally share.

I am also presently dealing with almost-overwhelming issues of overwork, health and taxes. All of which have exhausted me. Admittedly, I have once again become obsessed with blogging and blog-stats, despite the better angels of my nature. It's time to take a step back and re-evaluate.

If you pray, please pray for me, as I wish all of you a happy, glorious, wonderful Easter.

As the governor of California so memorably said, I'll be back.

PS: I am very pleased DEAD AIR's official Easter Hymn is still alive and well on YouTube.


And the angel spoke to the women, saying, you are looking for Jesus of Nazareth.

He is not here, for He has risen, as He said


After the Goldrush - Prelude

[via FoxyTunes / Prelude]

Art by John Pitre. Song by Neil Young.


Doc Anchovy said...

See ya' when ya' get back. Have fun. Thanks for saying I "know how to stay on topic". That's one vote, so far.

captcrisis said...

Remarkable video and singing. Thanks.

D. said...

Wow. That window is gorgeous.

I get confirmed this evening, so this post spoke to me. Good luck with your spiritual contemplation, and we'll hope to see you back here someday with all issues in balance.

(Neil Young's music is unfortunately a sign I need anti-depressants.)

Sungold said...

Daisy, I'll be watching for your return. I hope the time away will be restorative.

As far as how much to share about oneself: I struggle with that too. I struggle more with how much to share about the people close to me, since the issues and experiences that most preoccupy me also involve them too.

In general, I think it's better to protect a zone of privacy than to put everything out there. You can make yourself vulnerable, and if a hater wants to hurt you, it's just too easy. But I also appreciate that blogging doesn't have to be detached and academic - that it can be personal, or that we can merge personal stuff with politics or theory or whatever floats our boat on a given day.

yellowdog granny said...

hope your vacation is good for your heart and head..i wish i had considered how much of myself to expose to people on my blog before i poured my innards out to them...ha..

John Powers said...

Hope you come back refreshed. There is a rhythm to blogging that's very easy to step out of, at least that's true for me. A private blog may be a way to play around with ideas, instead of playing around with what you've made here; a sort of sandbox approach.

Have a blessed Easter and a restorative season.

T. Love said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
T. Love said...

Ay Daisy,

I don't comment a lot, but this is great blog and more importantly, you have great comments on other blogs on controversial issues.

You had a great blog post on that guy who was beat blind by Police, plus a lot of great comments in the Digital Colonial issue blog post.

I noticed (as you mentioned) that you were nominated for a blog award here:

I wanted to encourage your readers to not only vote for you... but to encourage them to send out a message on their Twitter accounts encouraging their friends to vote for you. The Twitter account at my blog has about 1,800 followers and I just sent out a message and made a blog post encouraging people to vote for you (and for Renee of Womanist Musings) and there are a whole lot of your readers who have even more Twitter followers... so it could make a difference for you.

I'm not affiliated with the awards in any way, manner of form but I think you deserve more credit than you get for speaking up for so many marginalized groups and people of color.

Even if you don't win, I still think this is one of the Best Feminist Blog in the International Category! :)

Keep up the great work! :)

Have a great rest.

Love for the people,

meeeean queen emily said...

Happy Easter yourself. Take care x

Marion said...

I'll miss you, Daisy, but I know you will benefit from the time away you require to re-evaluate; I look forward to any changes you come up with. I think your blog is great just the way it is, actually!

Have a restful and joyful Easter break!

Meowser said...

You do what you have to to take care of yourself, Daisy. I'll be rootin' for ya.

ArrogantWorm said...

Time away is a good idea, helps relieve stress. I wa never very good either on wha I should or should not put online. Take care!

JoJo said...

We'll be here when ya get back. I've already stepped back from my blog, b/c I can't think of anything good to say anymore. lol

YogaforCynics said...

Is it because I haven't been coming by lately? Believe me, I've been slacking on everybody's blogs...nothing personal....

Seriously, I wish you the best, and will eagerly await the blog's return....

jovan b. said...

Have fun, Daisy.

I'll keep things going on my blog here in Barnwell County.

sheila said...

A break?????? SAY WHAT? lol.

now what am I gonna do? guess I'll have to go back and read old posts now. ((sigh))

Hope it's productive (your break).

Mista Jaycee said...

Hi Daisy!
Still Soda Free!

the fruitfemme said...

Enjoy the break! We'll be here when you get back.

The Bitten Apple said...

Hey Daisy! This is Sarah of the Bitten Apple. I just sent you an invitation to my private blog. I wasn't sure if you would recognize my name in the e-mail, but it's me. I hope you'll join my reader list. :)

Bryce said...

see you on Earth day, d.

bint alshamsa said...

Hang in there. Recuperate and enjoy!