Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Been to Canaan

Tami did a thread on the book Girls Like Us by Sheila Weller, and asked us to name songs we liked by the three women who are the subjects of the book, Carly Simon, Joni Mitchell and Carole King.

I linked this song on the thread, and ever since, major earworm time! (This neurological phenomenon is undoubtedly exacerbated by the fact that the song gives me excellent, first-class acid flashbacks!)

I love this song with a passion, so enjoy. I was thrilled to find such a lovely version.

She always sounded fabulous!


Been to Canaan - Carole King


Ravenmn said...

What an amazing songwriter!

Meowser said...

I have Weller's book. It's pretty good, although it would have been a lot better with Mitchell's and King's participation; at least they got a lot of interviews with people who knew them well. It's compulsively readable because of the subject matter, in any case.

I love that song of King's, too. Another great one of hers that as far as I know she never recorded (but Helen Reddy did) is "No Sad Song" (lyric by Toni Stern), which for 1971 was pretty damn startling: it's about a Casanova who gets killed, presumably by one of his victims. She probably didn't record it herself because it didn't fit her earth-mother image as a performer, but whoa. You could picture Courtney Love doing that one.