Monday, August 22, 2011

Blue people, Haley watch, etc

At left: My current screensaver, Krishna. I've always liked him!






I thought of Krishna because of the new Smurfs movie, which as you undoubtedly know, is about blue people.

In the landmark, fabulous film, Slacker (not the mediocre and forgettable Slackers, which of course you have never confused it with), we are treated to a brilliant discourse about the cultural importance of blue people.

When I first saw Slacker, my child was young, and I suddenly realized the importance of the Smurfs!

Here is the operative segment, which also has some interesting things to say about Scooby Doo and Scooby snacks.

Blue People Excerpt - Slacker (1991)



You have to admit, he has a point.

~*~

I have not suspended Haley Watch, although it is currently on an extended hiatus. I got kinda tired of reprinting the veritable onslaught of gushing, fawning media-coverage of our new governor... what's next, Italian Vogue? The most recent Sunday Greenville News story informs us that Governor Haley "eats, sleeps and breathes jobs" and "she must work 24/7"... I am just waiting for the canonization committee to show up.

Republican Lt. Governor Ard, however, is another matter. He is in some major trouble for using campaign funds incorrectly and dishonestly, and Haley has very carefully maintained her political distance from him and his problems.

I seriously doubt that the Ard scandal will touch her. Boo.

~*~

At left: new patio resident. I thought I saw RADIANT stitched into the web, but it was an optical illusion.



According to my geeky Facebook friends, even though (to borrow a line from Woody Allen) this spider is the size of a Buick, she is supposedly (mostly) harmless, unless I aggravate her. And I assure you, I wouldn't dream of it!

She is Agelenidae, a funnel-web spider. Thus, the web is just lovely... it looks like water whooshing down the drain, frozen in white profile.

If you just ignore all those enormous dead beetle-bodies she has littered everywhere, it looks almost peaceful.