Monday, February 27, 2012

Girl Scout cookie time!

Four years ago, I posted this lovely photo of a DEADHEAD BROWNIE, and I have been getting hits from hopeful hippies looking for stoner-recipes ever since. No, not those kinds of brownies, you reefer-heads! I mean GIRL SCOUTS!



Yes, it's time for Daisy's beloved CARAMEL DELITES, which have more calories than candy. Munch, munch.

I assume you have all heard about the recent Girl Scouts controversy over the transgendered Girl Scout, which has been all over the news. Short version: the Girl Scouts of America are FAIR and we can be PROUD of them:

A group calling itself HonestGirlScouts.com has posted a YouTube video calling for a boycott of Girl Scout cookies in response to a Colorado troop's decision to allow a 7-year-old transgender child into its troop. Gay rights and transgender rights groups have reported a grassroots LGBT movement of supporters buying Girl Scout cookies in response to the video.
...
After an initial burst of publicity around the nearly 8-minute video featuring a teen Girl Scout wearing a Girl Scout sash, the video has been made private on YouTube. However, it's still available for viewing elsewhere on the Internet.

"I ask all fellow Girl Scouts who want a true, all-girl experience not to sell any Girl Scouts cookies until GSUSA (Girl Scouts of the USA) addresses our concerns," says the girl, identified as a teen named Taylor, a troop member from California, in some news reports. "I ask all parents who want their girls to be in a safe environment to tell their leaders why you will not allow your girls to make any more money for GSUSA."

The video was prompted by the case of Bobby Montoya, whose mother told a CNN affiliate in October that a troop leader initially told her that Bobby couldn't join the troop because Bobby "has boy parts," even though her child identifies as a girl.

The Girl Scouts of Colorado blamed the initial decision to exclude the child on ignorance of the scouts' policy. The state scouts said Bobby was welcome to join Girl Scouts. "If a child identifies as a girl and the child's family presents her as a girl, Girl Scouts of Colorado welcomes her as a Girl Scout," said the Colorado Girl Scouts, in a statement to a CNN affiliate.
I bought extra boxes. To be supportive and all, of course. Glad to do my part, she said, her mouth full...

And I made sure to tell the nice middle-class, bright-eyed, suburban Girl-Scout-troop-leader-mom WHY I was buying extra cookies this year. She looked totally stunned. This IS upstate South Carolina, after all.

Do your part! EAT EAT EAT! How often do we get to eat and feel great about it! SEIZE THE OPPORTUNITY!

9 comments:

D. said...

I'd planned to get extra boxes this year on account of that, but last week I discovered that the Girl Scouts started selling cookies week before last. So I'm behind a bit.

The dulce de leche cookies, by the way, are delicious and almost good for one!

thene said...

hahaha yes I heard about that and then went out and bought nine boxes. Sadly I didn't tell the dear proud Georgia moms why, and thank you for making me realise that I should have done.

thene said...

I love the new lemon ones, too!

bryce said...

way ahead of u, got my thin mints right here

West said...

...yeah, I'm not buying any... I want the government out of my Girl Scouts... Seems the LGBT crowd is a bunch of haters... I wanted to join, but as soon as I told them I was a Christian and wanted to partake of their tolerance- they booted my ass right out!!!... go figure... it really sucks telling people to buy their own damn birth control...

DaisyDeadhead said...

Actually, West, it was the BOY SCOUTS who went running to the govt like scared little punks, to make sure no GLBT people could be scout leaders, remember? As far as I know, the GIRL SCOUTS have never depended on the govt to make the mean gay people go away. Its the BOY SCOUTS who need Uncle Same to protect them.

Get the stories straight, pardon expression.

YogaforCynics said...

Don't be too hard on West, Daisy. Just like some people dress up in Star Trek uniforms and think they're actually Galactic Federation officers, some truly believe that the right wing fantasies of liberal dystopia spun by talk radio and FOX have a basis in reality. And trying to convince them otherwise is like telling a fifty year old man wearing vulcan ears that he looks like a dork.

I bought extra boxes this year, too. Just finished eating one of them, in fact...the whole box, by myself...so it goes.

West said...

Yogaforcynics, typical liberal, just hurls insults when they have nothing intelligent to say... AND I don't buy their popcorn either!... Yeah, nothing like trying to protect the children- we all know that is a stupid idea... why not get'em early, like in the womb...Talk at ya Saturday...

JoJo said...

I DO hope I can find some GS Cookies!!! I haven't seen them being sold yet. Hoping at Stop & Shop this week!