Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Another fine mess

Kurt Vonnegut dedicated his 1976 novel Slapstick "to the memory of Arthur Stanley Jefferson and Norvell Hardy, two angels of my time."

Ah, weren't they, though?

Laurel and Hardy - Water fight clip

It took me a long time to find one that features Stanley starting to cry! (@ 2:14) I always adored them both, but Stanley's funny crying gave him the edge, and he was my favorite.


Ann O'Dyne said...

yes yes - Stanley's wailing after Ollie accuses him of getting us into "another fine mess" and also the thing with he did his head and the fingers.
their best oneis the 2 minutes it takes them to completely flatten an entire house when they start out nailing a knocker on the door.
a joy of my childhood, I reckon watching their films all day could cure cancer.

SnowdropExplodes said...

Laurel & Hardy were such a great team together. I love their movies, both silent and talkies, and I think it proves how versatile and clever they were that they were able to straddle that technological leap with such aplomb.

When I was growing up, Stan was always my favourite, but now I find it harder and harder to choose.

JoJo said...

In all my life I've never seen their real names before! I thought it was Stan Laurel and Oliver Hardy!