Friday, August 26, 2011

Ain't skeered

Today I went to the radio station to record my promo for the upcoming "Daisy Deadhead show"... which of course will be a huge sensation and get me a book contract, as well as gigs on cable TV and beyond. (Or maybe not.) In any event, I was nervous, but I plowed through it in only two takes. I practiced my all-purpose mantra: Ain't skeered!

Well, how do I look? I know, you can't see people on the radio, but I thought I should wear a nice print dress anyway.

The show will be broadcast on Saturday mornings (9-10am) in the Fountain Inn area, carried throughout much of upstate South Carolina. Our first show will be on September 3rd, which is lucky because it's also the date in "Papa was a Rollin Stone" by the Temptations. (I think you all know I'd never start my show on an unlucky day!) Tune in to 1600 AM or 94.9 FM ... also you can listen online at WFISradio.com.

Yes, I am aware the website looks pretty Republican, except for Ed Schultz. I think I am only the second liberal on the station to date ... but it's high time to bring lefty radio to the UPSTATE!!!!

Caution: This is what happens when you run your mouth too much... we need this, we need that, we need lefty radio in the upstate, we need blah blah blah... at some point, someone is likely to call you on it, and say Hey, if I pay for the radio time, will you do the talking? (And they may even wait until you are unemployed, when they know you have the time to do it.) And what will you do, when it happens to you?

Recording my promo, I thought, what am I doing here?--and I remembered, it was my BIG MOUTH that got me here, so I will probably do okay. (PS: I can't wait to say "I paid for this microphone"--which I have secretly wanted to say ever since that other famous fella did.)

Stay tuned, sports fans.

17 comments:

sheila said...

The Best of Rick and Bubba? OMG. LOL! Okay, as for YOUR show, what's it called? That is soooooooooo cool! You rock :)

You should also see if you can put a podcast on your blog so incase I miss it online...

DaisyDeadhead said...

Yeah, I think that may yet happen through the Green Party blog, but not sure yet.

Ramone Smith said...

WFIS? And I always was expecting WEFR!

John Powers said...

Looking good!

2020 said...

Aww I would dearly love to hear you being badass all over the radio but alas I am all the way over in the UK. Oh well I still have the blog, really hope it all goes well for you.

You look awesome by the way

D. said...

I might actually be up that early and on the computer.

Rootietoot said...

Congratulations and all that great stuff! I hope you have roarin' good time and lots of people listen to dyou- are you going to do call ins? I'd so listen to call ins because that's when you really get to get your dander up.

Marion said...

Wow, this is so great, Daisy! I am going to place the date on my calender and hope I remember to listen to you, heh! Can't wait to hear your voice!

Your voice is strong and your opinions are very much needed. Many kudos to you!!!! xx

Blue Heron said...

Very happy for you and wishing you the best of luck. Not totally clear, will you be mostly speaking and shpieling or playing vinyl?

SC Boy said...

Oh, Daisy! I love you so much, and you look fabulous, and are going to be so famous!

JoJo said...

Congratulations Daisy! You look great and very natural behind the mic! Good luck with your show!

Daisy said...

That's awesome! I am so proud and happy for you!

DaisyDeadhead said...

BH, this is talk radio, but I choose the "bumper" music.

Rootie, we hope to have call-ins (the station takes calls), and since its usually a conservative station, we figure the surprise of hearing liberals should at least prompt a few. (I have Gregg, my Green Party guru, as back-up.)

Thanks SO MUCH everyone, since I am a nervous wreck!

kittywampus said...

Daisy, you'll rock it. Let us know how you felt it went - and definitely alert us if there will be a podcast.

I like the dress, too. Good vibes and vibrant colors will come through on the airways, even if they can't be seen. You look great.

Anonymous said...

deepest, heartfeltest congratulations. you're a nervous wreck? well i don't know how i'm gonna make it until your show airs. next stops: op-ed pages, awful cable news shows, and a run for congress!!

seriously, if your other fans love you as much as this anon guitarist, you'll have an rabidly loyal following. just keep it real. i know you will.

Anonymous said...

and your welcome for the phrase "an rabidly loyal". heard it here first.

Dave Dubya said...

This is great news! Go get 'em!

I was lucky enough to talk politics for a few times on a campus radio station. They even let me play a recording of my song about GWB, "Misunderestimated Prophet".