Sunday, January 3, 2010

Dead Air Church: Where Evil Grows

Yes, you sinners, Dead Air Church is back in session!

I heard "Where Evil Grows" last night, and decided to reprise what I wrote about it in November of 2008:

This [song] is from waaaay back (1971) when songs were forced by radio censors to use oodles of euphemism. Virtually every line of this song has double, even triple meanings, and you just wonder how they got away with a line like "Evil grows in cracks and holes" without the record getting banned. No doubt, it's because of the presentation, which at first listen, sounds very bubblegum. Gotcha! Critic Kim Cooper writes: "The Partridge Family + The Manson Family = The Poppy Family"... even the name of the band wasn't what it seemed at first. They looked hippie-wholesome as the very dickens... yes, the same wholesome kids who took various strange acidhead detours in the late 60s/early 70s... wholesome, Canadian, fun-and-funky kids gone... well, if not exactly WRONG... then, you know, off. Yes, just off.

Some time later, the author of this song recorded one of the worst pop songs of all time, truly the fate of the damned. (Terry Jacks: Seasons in the Sun) But you know, we don't remember all of those bad Partridge Family songs they tortured us with, do we? No, we remember SEASONS IN THE SUN, it's badness is of a truly legendary nature. It's that touch of Manson that makes it morbid and weird.
And I realized the song was perfect for DEAD AIR Church.

Enjoy!

WHERE EVIL GROWS - the Poppy Family

6 comments:

white rabbit said...

I was amused to read that Lee Hazlewood got 'some velvet morning when I'm straight/I'm going to open up your gate' past the CBS censors on the ground that it was about the nice little boy politely opening the nice little girl's garden gate for her.

Yikes - even the explanation I just typed still looks dodgy...

wv: conch

Marion said...

Um...I must say the Poppy Family was one of my favourites, way back when. I was devastated when Susan and Terry split, in my young,naive years.

But I never actually listened to the lyrics. I knew them, I sang along with them, but I never bothered to actually understand them! Thanks, Daisy, for opening my ears, even these many, many years later!

JoJo said...

Ok first off Daisy, the Partridge Family RULES! lol But I agree w/ you about Seasons in the Sun. hahahaha I had never heard of The Poppy Family before today though.

Ghost Dansing said...

very kewl...

Rachel said...

I like that Dr. Hook song where they sing "I get a whole different impression of you/Whenever I do wups!"

Modesty Press said...

Hi,

Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving interesting science fiction comments about Heinlein and Dick. How did you survive this long? I am guessing that you were quite wild thing back in the day? But maybe not. You might be like my wife and I. We had long hair and didn't get along with our parents and didn't believe in God, but we never ingested eccentric chemicals and were really very square. Well, I am dyslexic and ADD/HD (though one of my siblings is either bi-polar or schizophrenic or both, so I may be crazy too and just think I am sane, which sounds very Dickish, so to speak) so I may read a lot of your blog or may get distracted and wander off too pick on some evangelicals, which is where I am going right now.