Thursday, February 23, 2012

Volkswagen sucks

Volkswagen is using Ted Nugent's misogynist "Stranglehold" in a commercial. The major controversy online seems to be why the Motor City Madman (as he is known), would endorse a German car, which is some major Detroit heresy. Nobody cares about the woman-killing in the song.

This isn't the first time the song has been used in ads (the instrumental parts of the song are great), but it IS the first time the lyrics, "I got you in a stranglehold, babbehhhh!" have been included.

It makes me furious enough never to buy a VW for as long as I live, and yes, I AM poor and I WAS considering it, so your loss, Volkswagen!!!

Time for some pertinent questions to all the 'men's rights' folks (anti-feminists, mostly) I have currently been arguing with online:

When is the last time a woman's song about strangling a man was in a TV commercial? For a major world corporation?

Further, when did any woman even RECORD one?

Has a woman ever strangled a man in the history of the WORLD, who wasn't safely drugged or ASLEEP? (The song is obviously about the sheer delight of violent struggle; if she was asleep, he never would have written it, too boring.)

If a woman did indeed write and record such a song, would it be a big million-selling heavy-metal album? Would the woman who recorded it be accepted as a rich Republican donor in good standing (as Nugent is) and given a steady gig at the Washington Times (as Nugent is), or would she be considered a major loony-tune man-killer?

Totally laughable, isn't it?

There simply isn't any equivalent, and that is why I use the word PATRIARCHY: because we live in one.


Blogger is currently all screwed up and has been for about a month now. It will not allow me (and lots of other bloggers) to update the blog-links list. So if you think your blog belongs on it, and it's not, you are probably right.

Blogs I have tried to add to my illustrious list:

Cheap Signals (Hi Gretchen!)

Shuffle (Carolina's indie music scene)

The Good Men Project (sometimes I can post there, and sometimes I can't, for mysterious reasons)

ClarenceGrad72 (Hi Becky!)

Consider this a consolation prize for not being able to update my link list.


A little fun on the website titled your past life diagnosis. Here is mine:

I don't know how you feel about it, but you were male in your last earthly incarnation. You were born somewhere in the territory of modern USA South-West around the year 800. Your profession was that of a map maker, astrologer, astronomer.

Your brief psychological profile in your past life:

Timid, constrained, quiet person. You had creative talents, which waited until this life to be liberated. Sometimes your environment considered you strange.

The lesson that your last past life brought to your present incarnation:

Your main task is to make the world more beautiful. Physical and spiritual deserts are just waiting for your touch. Keep smiling!

Do you remember now?
Well, okay, that is a random computer program and relatively dopey... but... do you remember my Groundhog Day post here and how I described feeling unaccountably drawn to Chaco Canyon? That would be the place and time-frame described above, the time of the Anasazi, and now I am a bit spooked. (I love maps AND astrology.)

Probably just a coincidence, she muttered, reaching for her Tarot.


JoJo said...

Can't stand Ted Nugent.

Hey I tried that Past Life website and this is what I got:

"I don't know how you feel about it, but you were female in your last earthly incarnation. You were born somewhere in the territory of modern North Australia around the year 1725. Your profession was that of a leader, major or captain.

Your brief psychological profile in your past life:
Timid, constrained, quiet person. You had creative talents, which waited until this life to be liberated. Sometimes your environment considered you strange.

The lesson that your last past life brought to your present incarnation: Your main lesson is to develop magnanimity and a feeling of brotherhood. Try to become less adhered to material property and learn to take only as much, as you can give back.
Do you remember now? not so much, and I have NEVER EVER been drawn to Australia at all. The British Isles and Canada, definitely.

Iron My Shirt said...

Fix me a turkey pot pie!!

DaisyDeadhead said...

Iron, this is a vegetarian blog, apparently you can't read OR follow the pictures. :P

bryce said...

ted is a tool

iron - y cant straight men take care of their own shirts? too dumb?

a mystery of the ages

Consigliere said...

Nuge! Nuge! Nuge! Nuge!

His music is simplistic, but so is Black Sabbath and I love them. I don't know...he never appealed to me. Sort of hyper-testerone driven adolescent music when I was already past that stuff.

Would you feel the same way about Tom Dooley? There are a BUNCH of songs about men killing women...oh...wait....that was kinda sorta part of the point, right? See..I got it! *Puffs out his chest*

YogaforCynics said...

Some years ago, went to the NY State Fair to see RatDog. Though the show was a ticketed event, the ticket included the fair (whereas tickets to the fair didn't include a ticket to the show). Before RatDog, we were wandering around, and it turned out that Ted Nugent was playing--out in the open on the fairgrounds, so included in admission to the fair. One of my friends, an old Nugent fan, insisted on dragging us along. After a couple songs, though, he got so pissed off by Nugent's idiotic right wing rhetoric (not only between but during songs--at one point, after playing some lame guitar riff, he said "you can't do that in France!" To which we responded: "yes you can!"), that we left. I then added insult to injury by saying that, actually, the stuff he was saying was so ridiculous it was kind of entertaining, I just wished he'd stuck to that instead of insisting on playing that crappy music.

Infra said...

(Tried posting this earlier, but couldn't tell if it went through. Hopefully it doesn't double-post.)

What seems strange about it (and this seems to be a pattern with VW's recent ads -- check for the double meanings in "Safety Sacrifice") is that the lyric seems to be a reference to the baby in the harness, and a generational thing. Kind of an implication that because the guy, as a kid, wanted to go fast, so does the infant. But because the infant's going to be strapped into a safe vehicle (much like the carrier), there's no way it's going to happen.

Note the facial expressions. And the fact that the guy, at all ages, was carrying a backpack -- and holding onto the straps.

Bizarre, twisted, and inappropriate use of the lyric, but that seems to be what they were aiming at.

But what's also interesting is that if someone's familiar with the overall lyrics of the song (and this is the case with Ridin' in the "Safety Sacrifice" commercial as well), the ad takes on a different meaning, and that's why the language in the previous paragraph isn't as strong as it could be: it shows a reversal of the kind of behavior that Nugent was writing about. A move away from "I like to tear up the street." It uses Stranglehold against itself.


Don't know, really. But these recent VW ads? Odd, to say the least.

Xakudo said...

Just to be clear: although we blog a lot about men's issue at GendErratic, we do not identify as a "men's rights" blog. I do not identify as either MRA or Feminist, and IIRC that is the case for Typhonblue and Ginkgo as well. (Interestingly, people have variously informed me at different times that I am either feminist or anti-feminist. So lots of conflicting opinions about my feminist status from a descriptive standpoint, apparently. ;-))

As to the topic at hand, I don't expose myself to much advertising at all, so my data is very limited, but this is the closest thing I could come up with:

Jay Generally said...

Hi Daisy,

I'm de-lurking to comment on this one. And I agree with your point! I will reiterate that at the end, after I overanalyze trivial details.

I'm not a fan of 'the Nooj,' but my adopted father is. Anyway, I do know the song and I don't really think it is about murdering anyone.

A stranglehold usually means a wrestling/martial arts move that cuts off blood to force a submission instead of a move that cuts off air, i.e. a chokehold. But the two words get used so interchangably that I'm not even sure I'm not arguing archaic semantics. It's illegal in Olympic/High School wresting and Sambo, but it's legal everywhere else, I think. It was always the line "then I crushed your face," that bugged me more.

Knowing Mr. Nugent and his metaphors, I think the song was just about a woman who left him that he could still come have sex with any time he wanted, crushing any facade she had of being a 'good girl.' The 'burned down house that gets in his way' line also sort of suggests they do this despite her being in another relationship.

Now, I defend the song so I can attack it. Since, metaphor or not, it paints a picture of a dude who repeatedly chases down a woman who tried to leave him to burn down her defenses, lock her in a stranglehold, and punch her face any time he wants sex - it is worse than the idea of a guy who murders for fun for me. Systemic emotional abuse, violence, terrorism, and slavery? Very, very, innappropriate for car commercials, either way. I've seen Iron Man used to sell cars and Brown Sugar used to sell pancakes. Oy.

I could probably find some songs about female on male sexual violence, murder even, but I don't think I could find them being used to sell discount furrntiture. "Good bye Earl... Grey Tea; Hello, Chamomile!" "Lizzie Borden gave her mother 40 whacks, gave her father 40 more, but you can save over 40 bucks at Huge Buyz Sooper Savings Store!" Anyway, I love me some violent, sexual music, but it is super innappropriate for generic public messages. I think people hear these songs so much that they just... forget what they were ever about.

(Love your blog)