Thursday, October 21, 2010

Hanging by a thread

Did anyone see that report last night on MSNBC, about The White Horse Prophecy? It was almost too good to be true.

The White Horse Prophecy is one of those in-group religious things you don't hear about unless you are paying close attention. I would compare it to the Catholic end-times prophecy of The Chastisement, and in fact, I'm amazed how similar all these things tend to be. (During my pseudo-Opus Dei period, I tried mightily to believe in The Chastisement, and couldn't quite get there... but I did enjoy novels about it!)

Apparently, Glenn Beck drops references (dog-whistles) to this well-known Mormon prophecy on his show, and if you aren't already aware of what it is, you are missing it. (I've noticed much of the mainstream media totally misses religious dog-whistling, as they largely missed the antichrist-subtext in that famous anti-Obama commercial.) But this time, they caught Beck quoting it almost verbatim:

"I feel the Constitution is hanging in the balance right now, hanging by a thread unless the good Americans wake up."
The White Horse Prophecy (from link above):
The History of the Church account is an amalgamation of the reports in the Joseph Smith Diary and the Nauvoo Neighbor. The report by Levi Richards is here published for the first time. A reminiscent account of this discourse by James Burgess contains the essential details found in the other three accounts published here, and adds that the "Constitution and Government would hang by a brittle thread."

In the month of May 1843. Several miles east of Nauvoo. The Nauvoo Legion was on parade and review. At the close of which Joseph Smith made some remarks upon our condition as a people and upon our future prospects contrasting our present condition with our past trials and persecutions by the hands of our enemies. Also upon the constitution and government of the United States stating that the time would come when the Constitution and Government would hang by a brittle thread and would be ready to fall into other hands but this people the Latter day Saints will step forth and save it.

So this is what Beck believes is his calling, no doubt.

For the record, I am sticking to my prediction, about the flame-out of Biblical (or should I say, Book of Mormon) proportions. He's come close a few times now, but his handlers seem to go in and rescue him at regular intervals, perhaps administering Thorazine. In any event, I am still waiting patiently for the entertaining and massive flame-out I know is destined to happen. Alcoholics with end-times obsessions?! CAN YOU SAY "Mel Gibson"? I knew you could.

:: In other news, mega-rich George Soros just gave Media Matters a million dollars, and Beck said "You're welcome" to Media Matters.


And Politico has just reported that Sarah Palin is a mess, more or less:
According to multiple Republican campaign sources, the former Alaska governor wreaks havoc on campaign logistics and planning. She offers little notice about her availability, refuses to do certain events, is obsessive about press coverage and sometimes backs out with as little lead time as she gave in the first place.

In short, her seat-of-the-pants operation can be a nightmare to deal with, which, in part, explains why Palin doesn’t often do individual events for GOP hopefuls.

It’s not that Palin issues outlandish, rock-starlike demands such as certain-colored M&M’s in the greenroom. At the events Palin does attend, officials say, she’s no diva. Kind and courteous is the more frequent description.

But the high-maintenance aspects of dealing with the 2008 GOP vice presidential nominee have angered and frustrated some conservative candidates and aides who once thought highly of Palin and, for more skeptical Republicans, simply reconfirmed their view that she’s self-centered and unhelpful to the cause.
Wow, ya think? Are you people just waking up to that fact?

They can work with her stupidity, but for godsake, no prima donnas in the GOP!


YogaforCynics said...

It might be a silver lining to the current tea party craziness that there clearly appears to be ACTUAL craziness involved. People like Limbaugh and Dick Cheney have always struck me as authentic evil masterminds--(almost) totally in control. Beck and Palin, on the other hand...I wouldn't want people like them leading any movement I'd be a part of. (Of course, parallels might be drawn to the new left of the 60's--it was probably never such a good idea to put faith in leaders who were taking so much acid...).

white rabbit said...

These people are fucking nuts! Don't send any over here thankies!

Jim said...

"For the record, I am sticking to my prediction, about the flame-out of Biblical (or should I say, Book of Mormon) proportions. "

He is riding for a fall. I predict it will be over religion. Someone is going to start digging and digging and digging at his Mormonism.

"Mr. Beck, are you know or have you ever been a member of the Church of Latter Day Saints? Can you name any other members to this committee?"

I know that's wicked. Indulge me. HIs viewer base is Religious Right, and this issue already sank Mitt Romney's candidacy. Let them wallow in the bed the bed they made.

Laci the Chinese Crested said...

I have to admit that I am really afraid of this upcoming election. It scares me how people are so incapable of critical thought. Worse, that Sarah Palin receives any credibility.

DaisyDeadhead said...

Jim, I totally agree with you. They are the ones who keep referencing the Almighty... let's discuss which Almighty Glenn prefers.

I wonder how many wives Glenn really has?! :p

Lindsay said...

I always miss those dog-whistles, too, until someone who has grown up in whatever religious tradition it is explains them to me.

(I was brought up in a secular household, so lots of religious references went over my head until I started learning about Catholicism and Protestantism in my various high-school history classes).

What I wonder is, do you think the media mostly fail to mention these things because 1) *THEY* are ignorant of them, too? or 2) they're worried about going out on a limb and looking paranoid? or 3) they're not big on critical analysis of *ANYTHING* politicians say, so why would they start with the religious references?

I suspect it might be all of those, but I'd like to see what you thought explained it.

DaisyDeadhead said...

Lindsay, years ago, I watched Mother Theresa's funeral on late-night TV (India time), and several of the "official" commentators seemed totally ignorant of the derivation of the banner over her casket, which read "You did it to me"... and they all just seemed to go blank. They didn't seem to be able to look it up, either, since the KJV says something like "Ye have done it to me" if I'm not mistaken. (The quote would be from the RSV, which was favored by the Missionaries of Charity.)

They mumbled, they ummmed and they ahhhed, but you know, they just didn't seem to know. All of these hotshot commentators and none seemed to know. Finally, someone triumphantly announced it was from the New Testament (well duh) but they didn't seem to understand the reference or why it was the phrase hanging over her casket, and not some other phrase.

I listened to the entire commentary, as they didn't seem to have any idea why people STAND for the Gospel reading (really? Is it that hard to figure out?) or anything else about the Mass. That day, I realized how ignorant the media elites are of religion and religious traditions... even something as simple as standing for the Gospel reading. (I suddenly realized they didn't know the difference between that part of the Bible called "Gospel" and the rest of it.)

So, I think your #1 point is the accurate one.

PS: Mother Theresa reference is here, Matthew 25: 35-40, Revised Standard Version.

Jim said...

Daisy, they really are pig ignorant, and the sad thing is this is not just religious ignorance , it really is cultural ignorance. That stuf used to be cliche crap, and now it's like a lost language to these people. And that has its benefits, but not when they are trying to analyze people for whom it still means something. Ths goes back to the point you make about the peseudo-left - they are just culturally incompetent when it comes to talking about working people, or religious people.

The same goes for military matters. I'm trying to remember when this was, maybe during Gulf I,maybe more recently - buty some general held a press confernece. He was fileding all these questions from journalists, and just making them look like complete idiots in public. They were asking the most blindingly clueles questions, and he was ripping thier assholes out and handing them back to them. It did not help that they had the arrogance and confidne of youth and thought they were asking all "the hard questions." Apparently it wss just painful to watch. Fortunately, fortunately the consensus among commenters was that it was too bad that the present generation was so unfamiliar with these things.