Thursday, August 7, 2008

Odds and Sods - After the deluge/Stealth antichrist edition

Left: Anti-Walmart art on display at Downtown Books and News, Asheville, NC. (Artist/inventor unknown!)

~*~

Yes, sports fans, the horrible new neighborhood Walmart, the one we could not keep out, the one I complained about so much that I worried I would alienate my dear readers, is ready to open. It's too traumatizing for mere words. Suffice to say, the mess they have made of everything (I hold them accountable for my flood last week, although of course I can't prove their shitty construction is responsible)... is plenty substantial. The toll on my nerves alone, is sufficient to hate them forever!

And so, this edition of Odds and Sods, picks up where the flood left off. I wanted to give it a Biblical tinge.

~*~

For those of you who thought my piece yesterday was mean, I assure you, I am still getting a significant number of hits on IS BARACK OBAMA THE ANTICHRIST?, which probably skews my thinking a bit. And then I wake up this morning and learn that Dr Dobson's outfit is asking people to PRAY FOR RAIN during Barack Obama's acceptance speech at the convention.

I wish I were making this up:

COLORADO SPRINGS – A video producer for Focus on the Family is asking people to pray for rain when Sen. Barack Obama (D-Illinois) makes his speech at the end of the Democratic National Convention in Denver.

Obama is giving his acceptance speech outdoor at Invesco Field at Mile High on Thursday, Aug. 28.

Stuart Shepard made the prayer request in his latest Internet video for the evangelical Christian group.

He says he's only partly joking.

"Sure it's boyish humor perhaps to wish for something like that, but at the same time it's something people feel very strongly about. They're concerned about where he would take the nation," said Shepard.

Shepard does a weekly commentary called Stop Light, produced for the Internet by Focus on the Family Action.
Boyish humor!

Do you BELIEVE these people?

It is my opinion that such statements, as well as the recent McCain ad (famously featuring Paris Hilton and Britney Spears), highlighting Obama's popularity and naming him "the biggest celebrity in the world"--are covert, sly, under-the-radar winks to the Black Helicopter Faction of the GOP. This is precisely the faction McCain can't easily win over: the hard-core right wingnuts who are constantly looking for signs of the Rapture. They believe Senator Barack Obama is the antichrist, as evidenced by the fact that I am getting hits from them every day. And these little "boyish" jokes, the praying for rain (suitably Biblical, for those who don't get it), the frequent reminders of his dangerous, alarming "celebrity"--all of this is code. Most of it seems to be going right over the heads of the mainstream media, but it's connecting with the Rapture-freaks (and their many fellow-travelers) in the Heartland. The Obama campaign really should address these ongoing religious rumors HEAD ON, because I think his recent falling-poll numbers have everything to do with what I am hereby naming the Stealth Antichrist Campaign.

Stay on the lookout for more of the same.

~*~

Speaking of fundamentalists, Heart (aka Cheryl Lindsey Seelhoff), our favorite ex-fundie feminist running for president (supposedly, although I have yet to see her on a national forum of any kind), posted a very bizarre, racist comic over a week ago, which I didn't know if I should link here. The comic, by one Elena Steier, I found very disturbing, because it reminded me of something, but I could not put my finger on just what it looked like.

Belledame and SnowdropExplodes have helpfully solved the mystery for me. The comic, particularly the juxtaposition of the sheer blond whiteness of the dancer and the dark, leering, long-nosed appearance of the male audience, look exactly like nazi propaganda cartoons. There are various footnoted comparisons (with linkage) to several of these old comics at Snowdrop's blog.

Heart, please stop embarrassing other feminists with this vicious bullshit of yours, and go back to the bosom of your cozy ex-comrade, Dr Dobson, where you belong. PRETTY PLEASE!?!

~*~

And while we are on the topic of vicious bullshit, Heart has repeatedly claimed transwomyn are not oppressed. And we now have another transwomyn who has been murdered, named Angie Zapata. (PS: that link is a veritable educational gateway; lots of details about the case, which are almost too heartbreaking to read.) Zapata was also a transwomyn of color, and Brownfemipower and Uppity Brown Woman write very well about these various intersections of identity, and how they threaten the mainstream media's hegemony (when they attempt to cover such stories), as well as the status quo in general.

I'm sure Heart has some handy-dandy explanation for why Angie Zapata wasn't really oppressed. She can sell it to Dr Dobson, as they go riding into the sunset together.

----------------
Listening to: The Clash - Hateful
via FoxyTunes

10 comments:

JoJo said...

I saw a clip of a parody commercial that Paris Hilton did in response to McCain's ad. It actually was pretty amusing.

As to Mallwart, "your source for cheap plastic crap", they tossed around the idea of building one really near where I work. Surprisingly, the people of Fircrest and University Place (including my office) were successful in our protests and local voting and the idea was dropped. We have a "Super" one in the town in which I live, Bonney Lake, but I refuse to patronize them.

Kristin said...

Stealth Antichrist Campaign is a great term. Have you seen the McCain commercial? I first saw this linked on Dark Christianity last week:

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2008/08/01/mccain-ad-on-obama-they-will-call-him-the-one/#more-10803

So, to some who don't really know the dominionist lingo, it kinda looks like religious parody. But assertions like "They will call him The One" are clearly intended, I think, to heighten dominionist paranoia about the Antichrist.

And, seriously... If they actually *do* think this, wouldn't they want to *help* him get elected because don't think kinda have a goal of speeding up the Second Coming or something?

It's also telling, I think, that they've decided that the Antichrist must be a *black man.*

Daisy said...

I'm not the only one who thinks this is a series of fundie dog-whistles:

BeliefNet: McCain Ad Suggesting Obama Is the Anti-Christ?

Quote: The makers of the ad chose all of Obama's quotes very carefully and the ad is rife with image after image equating Senator Obama to the anti-Christ, and especially to Nicolae Carpathia, the anti-Christ in the popular Left Behind series.*

*There again is the BJU connection: Timothy LaHaye (LEFT BEHIND co-author) is another BJU alumnus, and like Billy Graham, ALSO had a feud with BJ III that no one knows the juicy details of!

Daisy said...

Kristin, YES!!!! I keep thinking, wait, isn't there supposed to be an antichrist, before the Second Coming?

So, you SHOULD elect him, right?

I think the LEFT BEHIND books play havoc with Revelation, and in the extremely-contrived plot(s) they are always trying to thwart the evil Carpathia.

And that is probably why BJ III condemns the books, they aren't "scriptural"--but privately, I know the fundies gobble up these books like M&Ms, regardless of the warnings their preachers give about their doctrinal/theological "accuracy"...

annie said...

another great song! so fitting for these times... i miss joe strummer.

i am seeing some spooky activity here in my podunk town, as it pertains to obama. and this is california!! ignorance knows no boundaries.

finally....f*ck wallyworld.

Victoria Marinelli said...

Interestingly, the first place I ever saw that (yes, racist; yes, specifically evocative of Nazi propaganda) cartoon was on the infamous Gregor's myspace page: http://www.myspace.com/feministmen .

Don't know if it's still there, but I did save the image to my hard drive, intending to address it later.

Alas, I am perpetually drowning in "material" so I hadn't gotten to it yet. Glad you and others have since covered it (and, sadly, not surprised Heart has since favorably covered it).

Seriously. WTF.

GraceHead said...

Guess who said what about Obama? [Check this out].c

Daisy said...

Ohhhh, I got one! :)

Kristin said...

OMFG, this person has an entire blog dedicated to "proving" that Obama is the AntiChrist:

http://www.barackobamaantichrist.blogspot.com/

CrackerLilo said...

The Stoplight video *really* pissed me off. We Witches get accused of cursing and just loving to throw the ill will left and right, but guess which group constantly and publicly invokes their Deity to punish people they don't like? Ain't us Witches, that's for sure. What really pissed me off is, look at California! Look at their home base in Colorado! Nobody in the world could blame them for calling for a prayer for rain under those circumstances, but what provokes this bit of "boyish humor" is a speech.

Lots of New Yorkers didn't grow up around this End Times crap and don't get the references. Even my wife, who has personally seen a DVD from my aunt outlining what to do when we get "left behind" arrive in the mail and knows the end-times nuttery in my family, doubted me at first. They thought Ol' Man McCain was just trying to be funny. But people who are familiar with it got it right away. Unfortunately, if you leave or never grew up around it at all, you still need a passing familiarity so you don't get taken by surprise by how possibly millions of people will vote.

Paris Hilton's clip was shockingly good. I didn't know she had it in her.

I'm not sure if my stomach can take that Obama-as-Antichrist blog.

Finally, Daisy, I'm so sorry your community lost to Walmart.