Wednesday, September 23, 2009

My radical history, continued

Photo of the first-year commemoration of the Three Mile Island nuclear accident. Your humble narrator is at the top right of the photo. The guy in the white shirt standing next to me is Mike Gruber, and I think the guy in the hat was David Breithaupt. I regret to say the names of the other activists have since fizzled in my memory.

If you can read the teeny-tiny print, you know that we stood out there from 3:15am until 3:56am, which was the exact time of the accident. I mostly remember the eerie quiet around the Ohio Statehouse at that hour of the early morning.


JoJo said...

Cool! We went to PA in 1981, when I was in 11th grade, and I begged my dad to take me out to the 3 Mile Island area but we only got as far as Hershey. lol

Ozymandias said...

You are so awesome.

~Macarena~ said...

Look at you!

P.S. Thanks so much for adding me to your blogroll.

Anonymous said...

Ahhh yes, I remember when I would get up in the middle of the night to protest nuclear power. We may have to do it again. I stopped outside TMI with my daughter this summer as we were passing through PA and told her some of my protest stories. We drove to Harrisburg for a rally at the PA statehouse which was one of the first dates I had with my wife Lana.

The woman holding the sign in the Freep article is Carol Sabol who was a fellow COSEC member. The guy in the hat is Dave Breithaupt. I sent him the picture.

Thanks for saving the article and providing the flashback. NO NUKES!

Michael G

Best Hosting said...

The website is amazing, I have a look at out it continually and always has interesting information. Considered and very well-organized.Best Web Hosting Company