Thursday, January 22, 2009

Woman murdered in my apartment complex...

... and I still can't believe that, as I read back the title. This is MAYBERRY, people. This kinda stuff only happens in the big cities.

Wrong.

Driving home from work last evening, I saw a cop car hovering outside my complex, then another one exiting the gate as I was entering. We have an entry gate, you know, to keep out the bad people. (What about the bad people already living here?)

As I entered, I saw floodlights, the Fox News van, oodles of cops. I knew it was more than a drug bust, since people were milling around in that weirdly morbid, expectant way you've seen so many times on TV. I knew this meant a dead body.

And it did. Her name was Shivani Boparai and she was only 32 years old. I have probably seen her before, if she lived here for any appreciable length of time. No photos have been published so far.

Her 6-year-old son told neighbors he was locked out; Fox News Carolina initially reported that he was covered in blood. But the door was unlocked, and neighbors discovered Shivani dead from multiple stab wounds. There is some concern that the child may have witnessed this horrible act, but details haven't been released.

When I initially saw all the police cars, I floored my vehicle, pedal to the metal; I wanted inside as fast I as could humanly move. It was an almost unconscious fear that surfaced, that I didn't realize I had...I think I instinctively knew the victim was a woman, somehow. Possibly because this was at home, late on an uneventful, icy-cold weeknight. (Who else would it have been?)

They busted the husband, 37-year-old Harvinder Singh, on his way out of the Wal-Mart... (yes, the very same Wal-Mart I have complained about for over a year).

I guess he needed to do some shopping.

Of course I know that violent crime happens everywhere... and yet somehow, to have it happen so physically close to me, has indeed shaken me. And as a feminist, I am once again reminded that violence against women, wives, mothers, does not take a vacation and you can't keep it out with security gates.

Right now, Singh is being held without bail.

EDITED TO ADD: I can't seem to upload this photo of Shivani--but here is the link.

19 comments:

John Powers said...

I send you my warm thoughts hoping your sense of security will one day be restored.

mikeb302000 said...

Yes, we read about these things all the time, but when they strike so close to home they seem so much more real. Good luck.

sheila said...

Holy crap! At least it was not some random nut and you won't have to worry about some weirdo lurking. But still so scary...and SAD...all the same!

To close to home, that really sucks.

Daisy said...

What a terrible, tragic thing. I sincerely hope her son did not witness it.

JoJo said...

OMG that's just awful. I'm so sorry that it happened at your apt. complex.

Anonymous said...

I knew that woman. He wasn't drunk or anything. What kind of sick man....He was also abusive to her. She tried to lock herself in the bathroom apparently but he got in.

Anonymous said...

I knew her...i dont know how could he have killed her and that too in that way....why didnt she try to raise alarm?

Marion said...

Wow, I can imagine how difficult this must have been. A crime like this hurts even when it is in another area; right in your own apartment would have made you feel very vulnerable.

Hope you feel better.

Lynn Gazis-Sax said...

Scary.

Anonymous said...

Pretty sad...I knew her and feel that she was herself responsible for bringing it on to herself staying in that kind of an abusive relationship.
Astonishing to hear how a person who you "love" can do something so brutal to you.Damn!!!

DaisyDeadhead said...

she was herself responsible for bringing it on to herself staying in that kind of an abusive relationship.

Nobody brings murder on themselves. Period.

Anonymous said...

If you really knew her you wouldnt say that..... She was a lovely woman and she was in the relationshop because she beleived in marriage. she trusted what her society and parents taught her all her life. they taught her to believe in marriage and sacrifice. She hoped. she wanted to fight circumstances not run away from it like an average american.....Not everyone can do that.......

DaisyDeadhead said...

So you are saying she was lovely but she somehow brought her own death on herself for being so nice and doing what she was told?

Makes no sense. I hope you aren't serious.

Anonymous said...

Read back.. I don't imply that.I am sure she did not imagine this in her wildest of dreams. who would?????
she is not responsible for this. She is a victim of societal pressure..... a victim of following the norms and keeping up a face..... a vicitm of family pride......I hope they bring him to justice. If they don't I am sure the forces have their ways to bring inhuman like him to justice.......I still cannot believe it

Dw3t-Hthr said...

Oh my gods. How awful, Daisy.

jovan b. said...

In 2007, a woman was killed by a boyfriend in a murder-suicide near Johnston (pop. 2,336) in Edgefield County.

So yeah, this isn't limited to just big cities.

Anonymous said...

I agree with what you said...but in this time and age. Why did she stay in a relationship which was not working for her and her boy? Just because she was told to do a certain way...???, consider how much she was told to get out of that relationship too.
I hope she used her education and reasoning for her own good. Don't get me wrong, I feel terrible for what happened but at the same time I feel something could have been done while she was still here.

Anonymous said...

Easier said than done..... for all you know she was hopelessly in Love and when that happens.... You dont have senses.....

Anonymous said...

I know both husband and wife and ifound that this lady is too nice and respect and love too much his husband. But his husband who is also known by his nick name Ganju in India is also desperate for beating any one and always ready to kill and he is drunk and mad man thats i know. I requested US govt to hand him till death while knowing that he was my friend.