Thursday, January 8, 2009

Two from Disraeli Gears

Good lord, is Disraeli Gears really 41 years old?

From Wikipedia:

The title of the album was taken from an inside joke. Eric Clapton had been thinking of buying a racing bicycle and was discussing it with Ginger Baker, when a roadie named Mick Turner commented, "its got them Disraeli Gears", meaning to say "derailleur gears", but instead alluding to 19th Century British Prime Minister, Benjamin Disraeli. The band thought this was hilarious, and decided that it should be the title of their next album. Had it not been for Mick, the album would simply have been entitled Cream.
I've always wondered! Damn, the internetz rule!

Enjoy these two fabulous tunes. I shall love them passionately until I am lowered into the grave.

PS: The second song is NOT the Van Halen song of the same name!


World Of Pain - Cream


This song is so purty, you can't stand it...a big favorite of your humble narrator. Take special note of Clapton's heavenly riffs, and Ginger Baker's signature "tom-tom" drumming style. Lots of the otherworldly vibe is undoubtedly due to Felix Pappalardi's incredible production.

Dance the Night Away - Cream


Dave Dubya said...

And to think those geezers could still kick out such a spectacular show. Their Albert Hall reunion DVD stands favorably with everything, and anyone, else since.

Gotta love 'em!

Meowser said...

I love stories about musicians being out of it (either naturally or not) and thinking they heard one thing when it turned out to be another, and then going, "Oh, I guess we can use that, then!" Like when John Fred thought the Beatles were singing "Lucy in Disguise," and when he found out they weren't, he got to use it for himself (subbing Judy for Lucy). Disraeli Gears, who'd a thunk it. Now, could someone explain where "surrealistic pillow" came from?

mikeb302000 said...

Daisy, Yours is definitely the blog I come to for this kind of information. The two songs you highlighted are among my favorites too, and if they've been with me for 40 years, I guess they'll be with me till the end. The End, that would be a good title for a song.

Marion said...

41 years!!!! Wow. I was 17, and I loved these guys. Thanks for the memories, Daisy!

JoJo said...

Wow, I have that album! Haven't listened to it in ages though.

sheila said...

Damn, it's funny how I forget about so many good old bands now that I'm getting older. lol. Thanks for the post, brings back some greeeat memories of when I stayed out late, and drank long. Ahhhh, seems like a lifetime ago.

Thanks for the good vibes on the tooth. lol. btw, you've got me beat on root canals but not by so much...I've had 8. lol. falling apart little by little. :o)

YogaforCynics said...

Might I mention it's also infinitely better than the Van Halen song of the same name?

Haven't listened to that album in a long time...will have to break out the whole

jovan b. said...

Led Zeppelin -- the self-titled debut of the group featuring Robert Plant, John Paul Jones, Jimmy Page and John Bonham -- turns 40 on Monday.