Sunday, December 7, 2008

I write like a man... and other holiday updates

Mrs Madrigal shares the GenderAnalyzer, which has decided I'm really a man:

We guess http://daisysdeadair.blogspot.com/ is written by a man (54%), however it's quite gender neutral.
I guess that doesn't sound too bad. But I'd sure like to know how they arrived at that interesting conclusion.

~*~

Ever seen a UFO? Hate to tell you this, but it might have been lenticular clouds! In fact, I am fairly certain the one I thought I saw when I was young, was likely one of these. The shape was exactly the same.

Jojo provides some beautiful, amazing photos of these incredible UFO-shaped clouds in Washington state.

~*~

What Daisy wants for Christmas:

Gift certificate for Mary Jane's Farm! Mary Jane is our own countercultural Martha Stewart; the Style network for hippies. I am obsessed with her dopey magazine, and I particularly crave her overpriced book, MaryJane's Ideabook, Cookbook, Lifebook, for the farmgirl in all of us.

Yes, I know, I will never make butter or soap myself, but pretending is so much fun.

Putumayo's JAMAICA. (I heartily recommend Putumayo's WORLD REGGAE, one of my very favorite CDs.)

As my regular readers know, I shop at perennial Dead Air favorite Loose Lucy's on a regular basis, and just spent an obscene amount of money on a large patchwork handbag/tote. Yes, I fully realize that if I really was as cool as the aforementioned Mary Jane, I could make one myself... instead, I buy one and people ask me if I made it, and I just have to say, ummmm, well, noooo.

But it really looks fabulous, and if I made one, well, nobody would have to ask. They'd say, "You made that yourself, didn't you?" because it would be disappointingly obvious.

I love Lucy's and all of their clothes. Their newest location has recently opened in Wilmington, NC, and I wish them all the best. They are now up to seven locations! GOOD LUCK, LOOSE LUCY'S! (Sending all my positive holiday retail vibes to you!)

~*~

I recently quoted Harry Truman as saying, "history is just one damn thing after another"--but I've noticed that some searches are attributing the quote to Winston Churchill. Does anyone know which is correct? I am thinking it sounds like an extremely Midwestern thing to say, so I am sticking by Harry until proven otherwise.

What's up with all of you? How is your holiday season shaping up so far?

14 comments:

nezua said...

"We have strong indicators that http://www.theunapologeticmexican.org/elmachete is written by a woman (98%)." http://tinyurl.com/5ebdxc

:)

John Powers said...

Holy smokes The Unapologetic Mexican = 98%! That's really incredible and makes me wonder how their gender algorithm works.

I thought my fluffy self would confuse the analyzer. It pegged my Bazungu Bucks as a guy, weakly so, but suggested my Hats for Health was written by a woman.

JoJo said...

Thanks for the nod!

Many of my friends used to call me the Deadhead Martha Stewart, too. lol Not so much anymore!

hymes said...

We guess http://hymes.wordpress.com is written by a woman (52%), however it's quite gender neutral. Huh, pretty good.

Dennis the Vizsla said...

I don't know who said that quote, but it reminds me of one of my favorites, which is, "If it's not one damn thing, it's another damn thing." I got that off a Murphy's Law poster.

mikeb302000 said...

In my family we began preparing for Christmas yesterday by putting up the tree and hanging some lights on the outside of the house. I love this time of year.

sheila said...

Those clouds were completely amazing!

I don't want anything for Christmas except for like million people to visit my blog, click once on the ads so that I can stop worrying about how to pay for college. (we lost over 1/2 our college savings of 17 yrs in the 02 and 08 economy. )

But since I know that won't happen...I'm just going to hope for my small business to get back to normal after a shitty 2 year stretch. But that probably won't happen either. Crap!

ZenDenizen said...

At least you don't write a fluffy, silly girly blog :) Oddly enough that site that I was gender neutral until recently when I started posting about mascara and such.

CrackerLilo said...

The GenderAnalyzer is 60 percent sure that my blog is written by a woman, but says I'm also quite gender-neutral.

I saw a UFO once, when I was just sitting on my front porch, minding my own business, watching the bugzapper and opening my second bottle of Jack Daniel's...

I hope retail's kind to you this year.

Oh, and tag! You're it!

ZoBabe said...

LOL, I'm a man too.

ZoBabe said...

Oh wait! Now I'm 100% woman, 'cause I told them so! Don't tell them! It takes all the fun out of it.

Or lie.

Dw3t-Hthr said...

I was actually part of an impromptu butter-making incident a few weeks ago -- at a gathering, a friend had brought a jar of cream and said she was attempting to convince herself it was easier than buying butter. The jar went around and around the circle as people got tired of shaking it, and then we had fresh butter on our bread for lunch.

Gene said...

Daisy wrote: I recently quoted Harry Truman as saying, "history is one just damn thing after another"--but I've noticed that some searches are attributing the quote to Winston Churchill. Does anyone know which is correct? I am thinking it sounds like an extremely Midwestern thing to say, so I am sticking by Harry until proven otherwise.

I did an extensive search on this, and the nearest i found to is was this one: It's not true that life is one damn thing after another; it's one damn thing over and over.
Edna St. Vincent Millay

徵信社 said...

I love it! Very creative!That's actually really cool.
謝謝你的文章分享,請你有空到我

參觀,Thanks