Sunday, December 7, 2008

I write like a man... and other holiday updates

Mrs Madrigal shares the GenderAnalyzer, which has decided I'm really a man:

We guess http://daisysdeadair.blogspot.com/ is written by a man (54%), however it's quite gender neutral.
I guess that doesn't sound too bad. But I'd sure like to know how they arrived at that interesting conclusion.

~*~

Ever seen a UFO? Hate to tell you this, but it might have been lenticular clouds! In fact, I am fairly certain the one I thought I saw when I was young, was likely one of these. The shape was exactly the same.

Jojo provides some beautiful, amazing photos of these incredible UFO-shaped clouds in Washington state.

~*~

What Daisy wants for Christmas:

Gift certificate for Mary Jane's Farm! Mary Jane is our own countercultural Martha Stewart; the Style network for hippies. I am obsessed with her dopey magazine, and I particularly crave her overpriced book, MaryJane's Ideabook, Cookbook, Lifebook, for the farmgirl in all of us.

Yes, I know, I will never make butter or soap myself, but pretending is so much fun.

Putumayo's JAMAICA. (I heartily recommend Putumayo's WORLD REGGAE, one of my very favorite CDs.)

As my regular readers know, I shop at perennial Dead Air favorite Loose Lucy's on a regular basis, and just spent an obscene amount of money on a large patchwork handbag/tote. Yes, I fully realize that if I really was as cool as the aforementioned Mary Jane, I could make one myself... instead, I buy one and people ask me if I made it, and I just have to say, ummmm, well, noooo.

But it really looks fabulous, and if I made one, well, nobody would have to ask. They'd say, "You made that yourself, didn't you?" because it would be disappointingly obvious.

I love Lucy's and all of their clothes. Their newest location has recently opened in Wilmington, NC, and I wish them all the best. They are now up to seven locations! GOOD LUCK, LOOSE LUCY'S! (Sending all my positive holiday retail vibes to you!)

~*~

I recently quoted Harry Truman as saying, "history is just one damn thing after another"--but I've noticed that some searches are attributing the quote to Winston Churchill. Does anyone know which is correct? I am thinking it sounds like an extremely Midwestern thing to say, so I am sticking by Harry until proven otherwise.

What's up with all of you? How is your holiday season shaping up so far?