Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Corporate take-overs of everyday life

From LuckyMom at the wonderful PEANUT BUTTER AND JELLY CHRONICLES, comes this post:

A new study has revealed that children surveyed at a Head Start center in California prefered the taste of food wrapped in the McDonalds logo over the exact same food unwrapped. Some of the foods were common-place snacks like carrots and milk.

Researchers are balking at the overly successful effects of McDonalds strategic marketing toward children. Psychologists are lining-up against MickyDs while others choose to blame the parents.

I am always in the market for another reason to hate McDonalds. But seriously, this is alarming. LuckyMom wonders if all children would have this positive reaction to fast-food wrappings, or is it more likely among poor children and/or children who watch a lot of television. What do you think?

Meanwhile, the evil WalMart is coming to my neighborhood. Like, two buildings away. I'm sick over it.

I had been overly-confident that (see article) the rich people in Thornblade, the hyper-affluent golf-course neighborhood adjacent to my apartment complex, would be able to keep out WalMart. They COULDN'T. And they spent several million dollars trying. What hope is there for the rest of us?

We are contemplating moving. Then again, will rents decrease? That might not be so bad. But there is a REASON rent will decrease, if you know what I mean. The traffic around here (intersection of Pelham and I-85) is horrendous as it is. What are they trying to DO to us????

--thoroughly disgusted with runaway monopoly capitalism--

Graphic from Eadon.com. Warning, politically incorrect, sometimes sexist cartoons, etc etc.


suze said...

i didn't know they'd finally been given the go- ahead on the Walmart.

that sucks, D.

Erin said...

feh. Color me unsurprised. It's not just kids that do this, adults make the type of logo/corporate image driven decisions all the time. Computer software/hardware purchases are a great example of this, there's no way to tell you how many times I've been told that wordperfect/open office/thunderbird/whatever is inferior to a Microsoft product when the person hasn't even used the others.

I think I just figured out where I want to place the small stinkbomb I've had rolling around in my car for months though :D

Anthony said...

To be "beyond words" is not a position I find myself in often. You, though, have accomplished just that!

I found the Picasso post fascinating. This post...there's not much about Wal*Mart or McDonald's that doesn't disgust me more or less.

What's amazing is that you knock out one interesting post after another. The subject matter, meanwhile, is broad yet well connected.

I'm quite impressed. And pleased to tell you that I've included you in the newest installment of Surfer's Paradise.

I hope the link serves you well.

DBB said...

I know this is way off topic for this post, but rather than put more Animal Planet on Ren's site, I thought I'd offer a book recommendation if you are interested in reading specifically about Bonobo chimps - Shadows of our Forgotten Ancestors, by Carl Sagan and Ann Druyan, is a fascinating read in that area.

Daisy said...

Thank you, Anthony! You are very kind! I certainly needed that today!

And thank you too, DBB! Yeah, didn't mean to piss off Ren; I guess I thought she'd be interested because the name of her blog refers to EVOLUTION! My bad!

Is Druyan Sagan's wife? I think his ex-wife was Lynn Marguilies (?-- too exhausted/lazy to look up facts OR spelling), and I'm a big fan.

Daisy said...

Okay, hate when I do a dumb thing: it is Lynn MARGULIS. And yes, looked it up: Margulis is Sagan's ex, Druyan is his present wife.

I loved her book Symbiotic Planet: A New Look at Evolution.

DBB said...

Yeah, Druyan was his wife, til his death. I can say one disappionting thing about the book is that they intended to write a series of books and they never got the chance because Carl died. I've always wondered what would have been in the rest of the books.

Daisy said...

I had totally forgotten Sagan died, so thanks for reminding me!

DBB said...

I could never forget that he died - I really enjoyed all of his books and I remember watching Cosmos as a kid. I found out he died when I was at dinner with my now-wife, then gf, and my parents - it may have even been the first dinner out with my parents and her - and my mother told me he had just died. It was so sudden - I had no idea he was even sick (and for a while, neither did he). I'll always be disappointed I never got to meet him.

Back to the book - if you get around to reading it, I'd be interested to hear what you think of it. I haven't read it in a while - I think I've read it at least twice, though.