Friday, January 7, 2011

Bad girls

Anne Francis has died. (Thanks to Barbara on Facebook for alerting me to this cultural milestone!)

Many of us baby-boomer girls remember her as HONEY WEST, private eye with a pet ocelot, who could beat up men with her superior karate abilities. We never missed her! I even had the Honey West doll, if you can believe it. (Luckily, she wore Barbie-issue clothes.)

There was no other woman on 60s television who came close, actually allowed to kick men's asses, until Batgirl and Barbara Stanwyck (on THE BIG VALLEY; she didn't blink an eye when she drew her gun on evil interlopers). [NOTE: Beware, annoying 60s violin-laden TV music at the link.]

Sci-fi fans will certainly remember Anne Francis from the great 50s cult movie FORBIDDEN PLANET (with Leslie Nielsen), where she swims naked (on another planet, of course, where the rules were different). She was also the star of the famous Twilight Zone episode titled THE AFTER HOURS (where the PR-photo is from). In THE AFTER HOURS, she plays a department-store mannequin come to life, who has forgotten that she is a mannequin. Creepy and melancholy, all at once, as the Rod Serling-written episodes tended to be.

Few of us children who saw that particular Twilight Zone, could ever pass a store-mannequin again without thinking of it.

Do they come to life at the end of the day?

She was wonderful, and beautiful. Goodbye Anne.

~*~

And... speaking of mannequins (yes, that was mean)... she hasn't even taken office yet, but governor-in-waiting Nikki Haley has put us all on notice that she intends to make sure nobody in South Carolina will have government-supported health care... isn't that a comfort? She has appointed one Tony Keck, to go after poor, sick and disabled people with gusto:

Nearly 2.3 million residents covered by private insurers would face lifetime limits on their coverage.

New insurance plans no longer would be required to cover preventive services, such as mammograms and flu shots
As if the state wasn't poor enough.

On the plus side (see, I'm not mean all the time), Haley has appointed Lynne Rogers to head South Carolina's Department of Probation, Pardon and Parole Services.:
She is the first African-American named by Haley to lead an agency.

At the same time Haley announced Rogers’ selection, the governor-elect unveiled a plan to merge the missions of Department of Corrections, the Department of Juvenile Justice and the Department of Probation, Pardon and Parole Services.

Such a coalition will create efficiency in incarceration-related issues to save taxpayers millions, Haley said.

Haley said she will support a proposal of Rep. Bakari Sellers, D-Bamberg, to make the probation agency a division of Corrections. She has promised to seek consolidation of some agencies.
According to non-stop Tea Party Movement/talk radio propaganda, South Carolinians are gonna save SO MUCH MONEY after Haley takes office, we will be virtually rolling in dough.

Oh yeah.

I can't wait.

~*~

Beep beep! Uh-huh!

Bad Girls - Donna Summer (1979)

15 comments:

D. said...

Hmmmmm. I've seen the name Tony Keck somewhere...

Forbidden Planet is '50s, not '70s.

It is wrong of me to wish catastrophic illnesses on the rich. It is wrong of me to wish catastrophic illnesses on the rich. It is wrong of me to wish catastrophic illnesses on the rich. It is wrong of me to wish catastrophic illnesses on the rich. It is wrong of me to wish catastrophic illnesses on the rich...

DaisyDeadhead said...

D, it was a typo, I fixed it!

Funny you should say that... I actually edited out the following paragraph, after the quote about Tony Keck:

Now see here, atheists, this is why Christianity can be good. Pay attention.

When I was a good Christian, I would never say that I wish Haley misses her mammogram and pays for it dearly.

But now? Guess what I think.


GREAT MINDS THINK ALIKE! :D

SnowdropExplodes said...

Hey, what about Emma Peel, beating up men in The Avengers, that was a 1960s show!

(Or maybe it didn't get to the US back then?)

DaisyDeadhead said...

Yes, Snowdrop, and another reader informs me I missed The Girl From U.N.C.L.E. -- Stefanie Powers! (I am so glad my readers PAY ATTENTION!) The interesting thing: The Avengers was considered "adult" and came on later, so I didn't get to watch it until I was a bit older and it was syndicated. Were kick-ass women considered (giggle) especially "adult entertainment"?! LOL

Also, I think "The Avengers" conflicted w/another show my family enjoyed, and there was only one TV in my family for a long time. (BTW, I also loved the theme song and downloaded it onto a "TV themes" CD I made years ago!) The American networks kept changing the times too; it was shown as a 'summer replacement' show, I think.

No excuse for me missing Stefanie Powers, though; I DID watch that, but it wasn't on for long.

That's still some slim pickens, you must admit. Only five tough gals in the whole decade? Pffft!

SDE, you'd woulda loved Honey West, although her ocelot didn't like men! :D She was hot, hot, hot.

YELLOWDOG GRANNY said...

crap it ate my comment..I loved her in Forbidden Planet..I had such a crush on Leslie Nelson..(every since he was Debbie Reynolds boyfriend in the Tammy movie.
she kicked ass...hope she is being shown the ropes by the Goddess..

JoJo said...

How is it that I've never heard of Honey West?? Hmm.....

It sucks that people we grew up with are starting to pass away. I was so sad to hear Gerry Rafferty died too.

DaisyDeadhead said...

Jojo, ohhh, Mr Daisy mentioned that to me and I forgot to mention him. :(

"Baker Street" is real personal to me, loved it loved it loved it...

word verification: suctoc. hm.

Ann O'Dyne said...

oh yes Honey West totally impressed the teenage me. RIP dear Anne.

pity it wasn't Nikki leaving the Forbidden-health Planet. a pox on her!

CrackerLilo said...

I don't remember Honey West, but I loved that episode of the Twilight Zone. So wonderfully creepy, and she was great in it.

Honestly, I would say that Ms. Haley raised the bar for meanness astronomically high with her stance on health care coverage. I think she can tolerate a few unflattering words given how she considers the lives of the poor and disabled disposable.

LarryE said...

Not sure without re-watching it and yes I have the video, but if I recall Francis wasn't naked in "The Forbidden Planet" scene. Nielsen thought she was because she didn't know what a bathing suit was, but after he turned his back she came out of the water wearing something like a light dressing gown.

Again, I won't swear to it without re-watching, but remember, this is the guy who titles his science-related posts with the names of B-grade scifi movies. :-)

DaisyDeadhead said...

Larry, Mr Daisy, who is as much of a geek as you are, agrees. I guess I thought she was, since when she said "What's a bathing suit?" -- Leslie Nielsen gets that goofy look on his face (that we would eventually see more of in AIRPLANE). The titillation was the point, and I should have remembered that was the 50s! (titillation without reward!)

Thanks for the correction.

Word Verification: evelyte

(Evil light?)

Anonymous said...

I SAW A PICTURE IN ABOUT 1995 WITH ANNE FRANCIS. SHE WAS WEARING A KARATE GI(UNIFORM) WITH BLACKBELT. THE ARTICLE IMPLIED THAT SHE WAS A BLACKBELT 6th DAN IN KARATE. JUST WONDERING ABOUT THIS ARTICLE.

old coot said...

-unbelievable- how DS held mike -away- from her. whata voice. now days, they put their mouths -right on- the mike. -no voices or lung power-

great old school vid.

muebles online said...

Well, I do not really imagine it is likely to have effect.

Anonymous said...

old coot, that's a good observation you make. and not to detract from her talent, but let's appreciate the fact that A LOT has changed, technologically and culturally, since that video. it's a whole new world!

things are possible today which would have been nothing short of miraculous in the 70s and 80s. for example, advances in materials and electronics allow modern mics to handle much more powerful sounds and keep the clarity, which mics back then couldn't do as well -- especially those that are well-suited for live performance; not all mics are.

another big difference is the sound people expect: the "close mic" sound, as it's called (for hopefully obvious reasons). for a long time, music (& TV and movie) producers have used the up-close sound wherever possible, just because it sounds more present, and, more importantly, LOUDER! (you may want to read wikipedia: "loudness war" if you are not already familiar with that phenomenon.)

BTW when singers move the mic around like that ... don't discount the theatric aspect. ;)

sayonara.