Monday, February 28, 2011

This is where the party ends

Happy end-of-the-month, boys and girls. I have deliberately laid low for the past couple of days, due to the invasion of my blog by white supremacists. I did not argue with them or in any way aggravate them; I just waited for them to leave.

To Review: my post about the lynching of Willie Earle was linked on the highest-traffic white supremacist website in the USA. (I will not name the website here, but I did name it in the comments on my Willie Earle post.) And after that, it was linked on a lesser-known, but far more rabid (!) racist site. Admittedly, it spooked me pretty bad. As regular readers may recall, I grew up hearing a lot of that stuff, and it makes me profoundly nauseated, as well as generally freaked-out and scared. (Yes, I'm sure it's all terribly Freudian, as well as political.)

Can you believe there are people who would defend lynching?

In any event, I waited until their copious hits died down, and now it's safe to go back into the water, so to speak.

It's important to remember: they are out there. Anonymous, quiet, observing, interacting with all of us as if they are decent people. Be aware.

~*~

Did anyone read that recent Wall Street Journal article about how all these different animals are now classified as "service animals"?

This includes some guy's iguana, if you can believe it:

Last summer, after Ocean Park, Md., resident Joseph Wayne Short began walking Hillary, his four-foot-long iguana on the boardwalk, the city council passed an ordinance prohibiting undomesticated animals from mingling with the public, according to City Solicitor Guy Ayres.

Mr. Short fought back. He plunked down $64 to place Hillary on the Internet-based National Service Animal Registry, a private company that, among other things, sells service-animal credentials.

On the company website, where Hillary's picture and registration number is displayed, it says under service type: unspecified. But Mr. Short, who couldn't be reached for comment, has told people that Hillary keeps him calm.

"The gentleman claimed that the iguana was his service animal, so I am not sure the police looked into it further," Mr. Ayres says.

The registry didn't return repeated phone calls for comment.

Cosmie Silfa, in San Francisco, also has a "service iguana." His name is Skippy. Mr. Silfa takes him on the bus and walks him in a local park.

"He cradles him like a baby, a big scary baby," says Roy Mair, who works the front desk of the subsidized housing unit where Mr. Silfa lives. Mr. Silfa says what qualifies Skippy as a service animal is a letter from the psychiatrist who has been treating Mr. Silfa for depression. The letter says Skippy "helps him to maintain a stable mood."
I had no idea there was a controversy developing over this kind of thing. Beginning March 15, the Americans With Disabilities Act will only recognize dogs as service animals.

What do you think?

~*~

If you're under the weather, try some Black Elderberry punch to get that immune system pumped up:

1.5 bottles Knudsen Simply Nutritious Lemon-Ginger-Echinacea Natural Juice

1.5 bottles Berry Lime (or other flavor) Sparkling Water

3 tbsp Gaia Herbs RapidRelief Black Elderberry Syrup

2 cups ice cubes

Add ice cubes to large pitcher (about 1/3 full). Add juice, then Elderberry Syrup, then sparkling water at end. Mix lightly with wooden spoon.

Ahhhh...yum!

More from Gaia Herbs, which make my life so much sweeter. And that reminds me, the Medicines From The Earth conference is June 4-6 in Black Mountain, NC. (My coverage of the conference three years ago is here.) I haven't yet decided if I will attend, but if you're going, drop me a line! Black Mountain is one of my favorite spots in the world.

~*~

And what is going on with all of you?



*Today's blog post title is from They Might Be Giants. (I'd post the song, but I don't particularly like any of the versions currently on YouTube.)

6 comments:

Rootietoot said...

I'd be rattled too. Being connected in any way to those people is disturbing.

As for service lizards, that's a stretch, but I suppose they're cleaner than dogs that poop on the sidewalk. Just kind of...nontraditional.

the punch recipe sounds delicious!

John Powers said...

Thanks for being brave Daisy. In my comment on that post I pointed to a piece by Walter Russell Mead. That piece used the term "blue-noses" which I think contrasts handily with "rednecks." You champion rednecks in your writing. I think that's a reason your blog is a lightening rod sometimes.

At TPM today there's a post about Haley Barbour. A couple of the comments are by Southerners setting the history right.

My nose may be blue, but I sure don't look down it upon rednecks. There's much that's good in the experience and culture you write about.

I'm happy you lay-low to fight another day. Your voice is so vital. It's important that the good roots of our culture and society not be cut.

JoJo said...

Wow Daisy, I had no idea that the wack jobs were attacking you for that post. You must be doing something right if you pissed them off THAT much!

As for service animals, I don't agree w/ this new trend of purchasing bogus service credentials for your pet if it's not a certified service animal. Just b/c someone loves their iguana or guinea pig doesn't mean that the animal is qualified to help the person w/ their disability, like helping them cross the street, or turning on light switches or alerting the person to a pending seizure.

Anonymous said...

I published a link on my blog to a stormfront chat room last month and sort of held my breath. I guess we shouldn't be quite so cavalier about these things. Some truly ugly people out there.

blue heron

Ann O'Dyne said...

dear Daisy -my handy blog hint no. 32 is yours free:
to avoid appearing on the radar of evil, insert an asterisk in Any*Person's name. Your readers will cope with it perfectly, but your post will not match anyone searching for "Any Person" ... as the trolls do.

It just thwarts people who program an Alert.
peace and love

Doc Anchovy said...

Good advice, AOD! It does work. I've had similar things happen, once receiving an anonymous, no return address, letter in the mail after posting a comment to a local newspaper. I almost took it back to the USPS and complained, as it is actually uncommon for the Post Office to even complete the mailing process on NRA mail. No Return Address, that is.

My worst experience with the blog thing is that some kook in China wallpapered my blog with moped ads, going all the way back to my first entry. I had to manually remove them to avoid anyone out there reading my stuff from getting spammed by embedded code.

Hang in there, Kiddo!

As for the service lizard? Great! Any organism that makes a disabled person's life better is fine with me. They are kind of icky though and carry salmonella in their saliva. I don't think I want to sit next to one on the bus.

Remember...All bullies are, at their core, cowards.