Monday, July 30, 2012

Governor Haley's husband deployed

Developing story, just breaking statewide and nationally.

The cynic in me wonders if this is all a deliberate PR effort to make Nikki look good, as her political support drops dramatically in the polls.

Ya think?

(CNN) - South Carolina Governor Nikki Haley's husband received orders from the South Carolina National Guard on Monday and is expected to deploy to Afghanistan in January, a spokesman in her office said.

1st Lieutenant Michael Haley will deploy to Afghanistan, spokesman Rob Godfrey said.

Michael Haley said in a Monday statement that "this deployment is the reason I joined the National Guard."

"It is important to me to be able to give back. So, in that regard, I am looking forward to the opportunity to serve with a great team from South Carolina," he continued.

Gov. Haley said it is an "an honor to watch him serve our country" and said it is natural to worry about her husband's well-being.

"There's not a military spouse that doesn't worry," she said. "But there's not a military spouse that doesn't have an amazing amount of pride for the fact that these men and women, it's what they do. It's what they love. It's just an amazing willingness to put country over self. And so It's hard to feel anything but pride and, you know, do you worry? Yes, of course you worry.

"But I also know that we've got a very strong military force," she continued. "I know that our training is second to none, and it's like I tell all my military spouses when I speak to other deployments: all needs to be well on the homefront. And so we will be fine here and he just needs to take care of himself when he's there."

She was elected in 2010 with tea party support and has been suggested by some as a possible vice presidential pick for presumptive Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney. In an April interview, however, she said that she enjoys her job and "would not accept" the spot.

Michael Haley added that "the only thing that gives me pause is the year long deployment away from family.

"But in the end, I can't help but to think giving one year along with my fellow soldiers, as many have done before me, to secure a life of freedom for my family is well worth all that comes with it," he continued.
I guess this is just the beginning of the local media torrent about Nikki and Michael Haley. Ugh.

11 comments:

JoJo said...

I can't help but think it's propaganda as well....

bryce said...

ima scream, d. like really loud.

Conseglieri said...

"The only thing that gives me pause..." He makes it sound like he has a freaking CHOICE. When you take the military commission, you take the DEPLOYMENTS...or go AWOL, or file as a CO.

I have no idea if this is manipulation or not. It's hard to believe he has been deployed to benefit her career, but shoot...stranger stuff has happened.

Perhaps he should have asked to be deployed to Anaheim. I hear a bunch of people are giving Mickey a hard time out there. Somehow they seem to think it's not cool for the cops to keep killing unarmed brown people.

Zadig said...

So let me get this straight. She works for the government. Her husband works for the government. Her 14 year old daughter works for the government. Yet she wants to veto funding to support hundreds of other government workers, from teachers, to prison guards, to rape crisis counselors.

pusat busana muslim murah ghaniyah said...

I read few posts on this site and I conceive that your web site is very interesting and has got sets of excellent information.

Zadig said...

Conseglieri, the Greenville News article states that he volunteered for the assignment. Wonder who will keep her company while he's away?

update said...

article titled "SC governor Haley to stump for Romney in Michigan"

she really wants to be veep

Zadig said...

Now this is funny:

“So S.C. Gov. Nikki Haley is in town to mark the 20th anniversary of the Panthers getting a franchise tonight. Only problem is it’s 19 years!” Associated Press sports reporter Steve Reed tweeted.

“Panthers were awarded a franchise on Oct. 26, 1993,” Reed tweeted moments later. “The way I do math they’ll turn 20 in 2013, not 2012. Is this South Carolina math? LOL!”


http://www.fitsnews.com/2012/07/30/nikki-haleys-erroneous-carolina-panther-day/

baju muslim modern layali said...

Nice posts, i’m very like it. It’s very helpfull.
KEEP SPIRIT BLOGGING !

Zadig said...

Daisy you must be super busy today, otherwise I know you'd be all over this Mike Huckabee Chick-Fil-A appreciation day.

DaisyDeadhead said...

Zadig, you have NO idea how busy. :P