Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Boycott Chick-fil-A: "Guilty as charged"

As a vegetarian, I have no trouble avoiding Chick-fil-A. Around here, they get a lot of respect as a company that hires "nice Christian youths" to work in their restaurants. These kids are well-known for their uber-politeness and lack of tattoos. Chick-fil-A is also one of the only companies that actually refuses money and closes on the Sabbath. In addition, they help with school fund-raising and appear to be civic-minded.

These factors cause the local religious folks to respect them and consider them "serious" Christians, well worth patronizing.

I have just read Monica's blog, about Dan Cathy, Chick-fil-A president (photo at left), and his proud anti-gay crap. What particularly gripes me is the specific wording of his crap.

From the Baptist Press (and where did you expect it to come from?):

CARY, N.C. (BP) -- Dan Cathy oversees one of the country's most successful businesses. As president and chief operating officer of Chick-fil-A, Cathy leads a business with 1,608 restaurants that had sales of more than $4 billion dollars last year. They sell chicken and train employees to focus on values rooted in the Bible.

His father, S. Truett Cathy started the business in 1946, when he and his brother, Ben, opened an Atlanta diner known as The Dwarf Grill (later renamed The Dwarf House). In 1967, his father opened the first Chick-fil-A restaurant in Atlanta. Today, Chick-fil-A is the second largest quick-service chicken restaurant chain in the United States based on annual system-wide sales.

Dan Cathy's success has not erased the biblical values he learned as a child in a Baptist church. He is a warm, common man who is deeply committed to being a faithful Christian witness. And he is fully involved in New Hope Baptist Church in Fayetteville, Ga. He drives Chick-fil-A's efforts to provide genuine hospitality, ensuring that customers have an exceptional dining experience in a Chick-fil-A restaurant. Based on Matthew 5:41, Cathy is on a mission to provide customers with "second-mile" service -- exceeding even the highest expectations of a typical fast-food restaurant.
Some have opposed the company's support of the traditional family. "Well, guilty as charged," said Cathy when asked about the company's position.

"We are very much supportive of the family -- the biblical definition of the family unit. We are a family-owned business, a family-led business, and we are married to our first wives. We give God thanks for that.

"We operate as a family business ... our restaurants are typically led by families; some are single. We want to do anything we possibly can to strengthen families. We are very much committed to that," Cathy emphasized.
These comments have sparked a national controversy, of course, which has now spilled over into the Huffington Post and elsewhere.

Here is what pisses me off: Do they think gay people sprang from the forehead of Zeus or what?

GLBT people came from, you know, FAMILIES, like everyone else. The major implications of his bigoted remarks: gays are not part of their families-of-origin (I guess it's understood that their nice Christian parents all decided to throw them out?)... as well as denying the existence of families of GLBT people who are now grown and themselves parents. POOF, erased, in one fell swoop.

To Dan Cathy, these families simply DO NOT EXIST. In fact, GLBT people in traditional families, apparently do not exist either. Where does Cathy think they all came from, in that case?

The ignorance, it burns.

Boycott Chick-fil-A! I know, easy for me to say... however, I do like those fries as much as the next person. But I think I can do without. Fries are easy to come by. I hope the rest of you will consider the fact that a chicken sandwich is easy to obtain in a thousand other venues.

Go there instead.


JoJo said...

I started hearing about Chick Fil A's uber conservative politics when I was in Washington and I was shocked. Up to that point I had enjoyed their amusing commercials that ran during NFL or college games, with the cows' tag line, 'eat mor chikn'. I have never lived in an area where there were franchises, so it's not hard for me to boycott them too. They make me ill.

I hope that one day this man is outed being in the closet himself. I always give pause whenever people are rabidly homophobic...me thinks they dost protest too much.

Zadig said...

I suspect they'll do more damage to their reputation than they realize. Chick-Fil-A seems to be popular among the youth and polls have shown that even among the devoutly religious, people born after 1980 don't have a problem with homosexuality.

And someone needs to tell Mr. Cathy that the "sabbath" means seventh, as in Saturday, not Sunday. Nowhere does the Bible say Sunday is the Sabbath.

Santana said...

Hi Daisy, I'm having trouble finding a contact email address, but I would like to invite you to a few shows in the Fringe Festival that center around female/lesbian empowerment and I think you will find them interesting. Please email me at kampfireintern@gmail for more details about your reserved tickets.

West said...

I promise to eat there way more often...

Conseglieri said...

I've always enjoyed their ice cream. I'm of the opinion that I'll survive if I don't eat any more.

West...it's a free country. Don't choke on the hate.

DaisyDeadhead said...

West, what part of "YOU ARE NOT WELCOME HERE" do you not understand?

To those following along at home: see what I mean? Tea Party = DUMB AS DIRT.


West, please go away and find some people who want to talk to you. (Is it that hard for you to make friends?) That means: not here.

Please go away.

For the record, this is at least the 6th or 7th time I have asked West to go away. Since he is right wing, this meanss he will not show politeness or decency.

Thanks for showing us what the right wing is made of West. Stupid asshole bullies. Yes, of course you like Chick Fil A, I would expect no less from an illiterate bully boy like yourself.

Good job exposing yourself as evil, but I already knew that about you. NOW FUCK OFF.

West said...

Daisy, do you really have NO conservative friends? my my my... what a narrow minded intolerant life we live. I have leftist firends, and gays too! Yours must be a rather narrow existence...

Zadig said...

Hey West, stop being a dick.

Zadig said...

Guys like West don't care how nasty they are because they are so solidly convinced they are right. Another example appears on today's editorial page in a letter from Bob A. Nestor who is supporting Dan Cathy. He states,"That we have come to such a place of political correctness in our society today that we are willing to accept marriage as being a union between two people of the same sex is ridiculous and absolutely in conflict with what the word of God teaches." I always get a kick out of religious types whining about political correctness when they're the first to scream should someone not treat their beliefs as sacrosanct. A true example of political correctness would be not calling religious bigots what they are.

This Nestor fella, a former BJU professor, seems to write some bigoted letter to the Greenville News about every six months. He has recently "written" a book about the history of Bob Jones University. (I put written in quotes because it's mostly photos.) It's available on Google Books for free. It's not exactly what I'd call good journalism as there appears to be no reference whatsoever to the university's racist past. No mention of Bob Jones Sr's association with the KKK; no reference to the fact that until two years ago one of their dorms was named after Bibb Graves, an exalted cyclops in the KKK; no reference to their interracial dating policy that existed until the year 2000; no mention of their violations of the IRS tax code; no mention of their association with Chuck Phelps or Fred Phelps; He mentions that BJU is accredited but fails to mention they were not accredited until just a few years ago and that the accrediting agency they used is not respected by most academics.

Speaking of both Dan Cathy and academia, a couple years ago he was the commencement speaker at his alma mater, Anderson University. To the chagrin of many in the audience, he decided to wash the university president's feet to demonstrate his humility. Nothing like pretending you're an equal with Jesus to demonstrate humility huh? This must be a new trend. I saw some poor high school kids in Falls Park last week with red tubs of water holding handmade signs that said, "Free foot washing." These folks are getting more creative with their bait and switch tactics. "Hey let me wash your feet. See how humble I am? Hey, want to buy some of my religious tonic water while you're here? It'll cure all that ails you."

DaisyDeadhead said...

Teabagger: Daisy, do you really have NO conservative friends?

West, you were briefly on my Facebook friends list (I know, I know, what WAS I thinking?) ... Are you SO dumb and illiterate that you did not bother to check that out for yourself? If you did, you'd already know the answer.

Case closed = Dumber than dirt.

And: what Zadig said.

DaisyDeadhead said...

West, warning: any more comments, I start editing them to say you are really gay and the only thing you want in life is lots of men to blow you. And then I will link it to your blog.

You play dirty, so will I. That appears to be the only think kloset klansmen like you understand.

And if that fails, I will include your full name, street address and workplace, which I learned from being your Facebook friend. And I will start posting them on gay sites all over the net. Better inform the wife. Unless you don't want her to know, of course. ;)

I have been very nice up to now, and very forgiving. I keep forgetting that kindness is something bullies do not respect or care about. So, time for me to do some bullying right back.

Bring it.

iffatali said...

I can speak to my soul only when the two of us are off exploring deserts or cities or mountains or roads.
Flights to islamabad
Cheap Flights to islamabad
Cheap Air Tickets to islamabad