Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Inglis Campaign sign: say what?

Zooming by on Pelham Road, I first thought this sign was a white man's hands *holding back* a black man's hands. Nah, I thought, couldn't be. Did I really see that? Then I saw it twice more in quick succession; the signs are suddenly all over upstate South Carolina.

Intrepid investigative reporter that I am, I parked on a side street and trekked through the weeds (if I get poison ivy, I blame Bob Inglis) to the first sign and took this photo.

Up close, the hands are not so obviously two different hues, but when one is hurriedly driving by, that's exactly what it looks like.

On close inspection, we see that the two "top hands" belong to the person (notably) wearing white, who is holding back the fire-hose held by the "bottom hands," a person (notably) wearing black. Probably just a coincidence!

Notice also, the prominent wedding ring and enormous old-school wristwatch worn by the white-clad "upper hands": Inglis is a married man (family values!) who CARES ABOUT THE TIME! (Time is money!) And the fire-hose is... the money spraying everywhere? Huh?!? (Does this mean the Republicans want to cut public money for fire stations, now?)

What do you think?

Sign paid for by the Inglis for Congress Committee! (Vote for FAYE!!!)

8 comments:

D. said...

You know, until I read this closely (coincidence), I thought it was one of those tea party anti-bilingualism signs by (of course) their spelling-impaired signmakers.

So. With that much visual dog-whistling were any dogs around?

Also, are all the married Republicans in your state having affairs? The news sounds like Peyton Place (now there's a reference I don't expect anyone under 40 to get).

On top of everything else, the word verification? is "scrou."

Bryce said...

from a distance i thought the same thing.

Virginia said...

Ii still think the hand at the very bottom (holding the hose) is black. This sure looks racial to me.

The visual metaphor is beyond obscure. I'd not vote for Inglis if I lived in South Carolina just because I think his thinking is "overly abstract", which we shrinks consider problematic.

I've always thought SC road signs were a little weird, and then I moved to Georgia. We have one just down the road from the house that says, "Get U.S. (get it? har, har) out of the U.N."

YogaforCynics said...

How have Republicans managed to get poor and working class whites to vote against their own economic interests for the past forty years? By presenting taxes and spending as taking white people's money and giving it to black people (. And now they can even say it's taking white people's money and giving it to the black president to give to black people.

JoJo said...

Honestly I didn't notice any difference in the colour of the hands/forearms in the photo till you mentioned it, and even then I still don't see it. The wedding ring and watch jumped out at me though.

What a strange sign.

Word verif: herms

Rachel said...

Nice post. I can't imagine how there is not a racist element to the billboards, although you know...we're probably "reverse racists" for saying that...

I saw a tv ad for Inglis the other day, during the local "news", and it was these two girls, identified as his daughters, talking about how, "Daddy says that a free market will save America, NOT the government," or some permutation on that. Now...I can't exactly figure out, why is someone who is anti-government, RUNNING for government? Why not just go on a shopping spree? Oh, wait...maybe because they don't believe what they are actually saying...?

Sarah said...

Aside from the obvious racist/classist undertones of the sign, wedding rings are often used symbolically all over the place. I used to work at a newspaper, and part of my job involved finding art to illustrate stories. It was always interesting to see when Photos.com or whatever service I was using at the time would include a wedding ring on a disembodied hand -- usually only for Mother's Day illustrations (because unmarried mothers don't exist, RIGHT??) or other house-and-home type features.

Random aside, D, I'm under 40 and I know Peyton Place! Yay me!

And @YogaforCynics: There is a really rad book, part autobiography and part documentary, called "Deer Hunting with Jesus" that does a great job of explaining how conservatives have snowed working-class white folks.

Skinner said...

I think Peyton Place gets more time amongst the under-40 than you'd think, D. :)