Thursday, January 30, 2014

What American accent do you have?

Big shocker, I have a middle-American accent: You have a good voice for TV and radio.

For those who don't know, I am from Columbus, Ohio--so this is pretty accurate.

What American accent do you have?
Your Result: The Midland
 
"You have a Midland accent" is just another way of saying "you don't have an accent." You probably are from the Midland (Pennsylvania, southern Ohio, southern Indiana, southern Illinois, and Missouri) but then for all we know you could be from Florida or Charleston or one of those big southern cities like Atlanta or Dallas. You have a good voice for TV and radio.
 
The West
 
The South
 
Boston
 
The Inland North
 
North Central
 
Philadelphia
 
The Northeast

Saying I have "no accent" though? Only in America; obviously, the Brits and the Australians hear one. :)

6 comments:

JoJo said...

When I was in broadcasting back in college, we were told that the ideal 'accent' is midwestern. I was raised in Massachusetts by parents from NY so I never picked up the thick New England accent you hear. When I first started talking to Russell I had a hard time understanding him. If anything I sounded more NY than anything. But now I think I have a west coast/Canadian mix, although I took one of these tests recently and it came up as 'Chicago/Milwaukee'. I will take the test and see what my results are.

D. said...

I got a no-accent that I exaggerate in the direction of Northeast, but definitely eastern rather than western. Although that may have crept in. Hmmmmm.

Blue Heron said...

I also show a midland accent and I've never stepped near the place being a native californian.

Daisy Deadhead said...

BH, but everybody in California sounds like they are on TV. Its the first thing I noticed when I moved there.

When I moved back to the Midwest, everyone suddenly sounded very NASAL to me, LOL. I think "nasal speech" is virtually impossible to gauge on a quiz like this one.

But obviously some areas are far more nasal than others!

Gorgeous Gregg said...

I got "The Midlands" too, and while I was born and raised in Atlanta, my folks were from Pittsburgh, so I was exposed to their accents, plus others from the mid-west as they emigrated and began attending the Lutheran church. I went to a private school, so I am sure I was exposed to white southern language from the first.

S, Galloway said...

I have lived my entire life in the south, starting in east Tennessee, then western NC, and
finally the upstate of SC. and that quiz put my accent as BOSTON!!

The only possibility was my mother was from France, my step mom from Pittsburg and my dad from Jacksonville, FL.