Monday, December 2, 2013

Monday Music

I miss my mama, who loved this song. I think she identified with the naughty girl in the song.

Warning: its PURE country, which means its pretty sexist. None of this nicey-nice American Idol-assimilated stuff!

Joe Maphis was very talented in the Chet Atkins-style, "thumb-picking guitar" that my stepfather also specialized in. (also described HERE) My parents also played this song in their band.

Nostalgic.

~*~

Dim Lights, Thick Smoke (And Loud Loud Music) - Joe Maphis (1953)



~*~

My tags tell me I've never blogged a Dire Straits song! Really?! ((shocked expression)) Corrected forthwith!

This is my favorite Dire Straits song. I love it whole bunches and have since I was 21 years old.


Water of Love - Dire Straits (1978)

2 comments:

Sevesteen said...

Sultans of Swing is one of my top 5 favorites ever. Saw Mark Knopfler a few years ago at the Fraze Pavilion, a smallish outdoor place. He apparently can't hit the high notes anymore, but he can absolutely still play guitar.

Daisy Deadhead said...

Jealous! Would love to have seen Knopfler at the peak of his game--great guitarist, indeed!

I still love his playing on that song--yum.