Thursday, June 9, 2011

10% Conservative? Me?

I think it must be my tolerance of guns that gets me that relatively high 25% on social issues, but hey, nobody's perfect.

You Are 10% Conservative, 90% Liberal

Social Issues: 25% Conservative, 75% Liberal

Personal Responsibility: 25% Conservative, 75% Liberal

Fiscal Issues: 0% Conservative, 100% Liberal

Ethics: 0% Conservative, 100% Liberal

Defense and Crime: 0% Conservative, 100% Liberal


JoJo said...

I got 30% conservative and 70% liberal. That's b/c I am a gun totin' liberal who desperately thinks we need immigration reform.

LarryE said...

Supposedly I'm 100% liberal, although (as always happens with these things) some of the choices seemed kind of odd.

John Powers said...

I don't think that's a very valid test, but is probably fairly reliable.

I'm rather mathematically challenged and failed logic in school. However the rise of the Internet is so interesting to me that logic can't be avoided. The faster stuff changes with the Internet the more interested I get in the early work, or first-wave cybernetics. In particular Warren McCulloch really seems to have understood important ideas formally back in the 40's and 50's people are only now starting to grok.

Part of understanding computer science is understanding hierarchy, part of understanding networked computers is understanding heterarchy.

Warren McCulloch was a physician and mathematician. Other influential lights of the first-wave of cybernetics were physicians too, for example Jerry Lettvin who died in April this year (Lettvin's 1967 debates with Leary are on YouTube).

Long wind-up for the simple-minded observation that we tend to assume that political opinions can be understood in terms of heirarchy and therefore revealed by yes/no questions. But it's almost certainly the case that most people's political opinions are better understood in terms of heterarchy--a heterarchy of choices. They call the Internet "the net" because a heterarchy is form of organization that resembles a fishnet. McCulloch had established that the nervous systems of animals are net-like.

I've made a mess trying to explain. More simply I'm amazed sometimes by the politics of the people I know at Facebook. I convinced one I know to do the Political Compass test which seeks to identify political views on two axes: left/right and libertarian/authoritarian. The results, as expected, were were roughly in the middle even while he identifies as strongly conservative.

Embracing a thinking of politics in terms of heterarchy seems a route to some optimism for change for the better. People make choices in circular ways more often than linear choices.


I think the questions are worded wrong..ha..

YogaforCynics said...

100% liberal. Then, admittedly, I knowingly chose the more "liberal" answer on a couple of questions where I didn't really agree with either (for instance,while I support gun control, my views are considerably more nuanced than "people with guns are dangerous and sketchy").

white rabbit said...

I made 10% conservative too. All very odd...

Renegade Evolution said...

heh, I was 55% con, 45% lib...yet, you still talk to me :)

website coder said...

I cant understand this.. Can you explain it briefly..