Saturday, August 7, 2010

So big, we thought it was a bat...

...but no, it was only a giant moth! I knew if I didn't take a picture of him, nobody would believe me.

He is a giant silk moth; Antheraea polyphemus is his name, and the wing span was easily 7 inches. (He is a he since he has the bushy antennae.) Although I have never seen one before, they are common in the Midwest.

Snooping around, I find plenty of symbolism for large black and white moths, but precious few listings for brown ones. I am choosing to see him as a good omen!

9 comments:

sheila said...

Holy $HIT!

Marion said...

Wow! This one is HUGE! I tend to like the brown moths myself; they seem 'softer' to me than the darker ones. I like this one...he sends off good energy, Daisy. He's so beautiful!

La Lubu said...

Wow. We don't have moths like that in my neighborhood, probably because we have a lot of bats. I think something that size would scare my cats (or, perhaps they'd just raise a lazy eyebrow as they looked out the window..."cool. nice bat.")

Joan Kelly said...

Mothra! I love him on principle. Also love bats. Thanks for this photo and for being Mothra-friendly.

JoJo said...

Maybe it's that giant Mothman. lol seriously though, GET IT OFF ME! GET IT OFF MEEEE!!!!! lol

YogaforCynics said...

That is one huge mother *shut your mouth!* Nonetheless, bats freak me out far more.

white rabbit said...

Was that in the house? I once woke up in Jamaica to see a lizard half way up the bedroom wall. But sooner the lizard than fthat thing...

wv: nobbiran

DaisyDeadhead said...

WR, sure was! And yeah, we've had a couple of lizards too. (Welcome to Carolina!)

kikipotamus said...

He looks like a good omen to me.