Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Tuesday Music, better late than never

Bloggers often call it "Monday Music" (on Twitter, it's reversed: Music Monday), but I never have time to post Monday Music... so can't we change it to Tuesday Music?

Ahh, no alliteration.

In any event, I hope the following are arcane and interesting enough for all of you. I had originally believed they were in chronological order, but now that I am carefully checking the dates? I discover, hm, no they aren't. Sorry about that!


Ann Peebles is too great for mere words.

I Can't Stand the Rain - Ann Peebles (1974)


Excellent early-70s funk stylings, featuring terrific trumpet work by Cynthia Robinson. Also, a great song about drug addiction! (I realized this even in junior high school, which probably wasn't a good sign.)

Look at you foolin you...

Running Away - Sly and the Family Stone (1971)


Love the Bruce Lee doll that materializes out of nowhere!

I'm the Man - Joe Jackson (circa 1978)


Pylon is the band from Athens that was inexplicably left behind as all their friends became mega-famous. Life isn't fair.

Video footage is from the silent film The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (1920).

Danger - Pylon (1980)


About time for another Black Swan event, isn't it? I used this song in my "Black Swan" post titled It should be obvious, but it's not (from the lyrics).

**Note: Repeated usage of F-word if you are at work or school or otherwise being monitored!**

Black Swan - Thom Yorke (2006)

[via FoxyTunes / Thom Yorke]


Rootietoot said...

What, where's the Who?

YogaforCynics said...

Well, now, if we're gonna be literal about it, Monday music would include:
Manic Monday by the Bangles
Monday Monday by the Mamas and the Papas
Rainy Days and Mondays by the Carpenters
I Don't Like Mondays by the Boomtown Rats (which Tori Amos did an excellent cover of)
Stormy Monday by the Allman Brothers (actually an old blues song)

While, for Tuesday music, we've got:
Ruby Tuesday by the Stones
Tuesday Afternoon by the Moody Blues
Tuesday's Dead by Cat Stevens
Tuesday Heartbreak by Stevie Wonder

Overall, I'd go with Tuesday.

Rachel said...

Tuesday tunes?

John Powers said...

Rachel is onto something good ;-)

I love the Ann Peebles "I Can't Stand the Rain" I knew the song form many covers, particularly Al Green, but didn't know it was her song. It's so cool the record collectors posting at Youtube.

catsynth said...

I have a soft spot for 1970s funk/r&b/etc.

Actually, I posted a photo that fits in well. It's contemporary (2010), but the band was performing electric blues from an earlier era.

Nat said...

Hmmmm, that Sly & the Family Stone sounds very familiar, like something that's been ringing in my head for the past few days!

Nat said...

Oh, and how about calling it "Tunes For Tuesday"?

JoJo said...

I really liked Joe Jackson's first 2 albums,esp. "I'm the Man".

Marion said...

I like Tuesday Tunes, as well. Thanks for posting these, Daisy, I love how you find music that takes me back to a younger time!

Anonymous said...

Awesome Yorke tune- never heard it before *TY*

Ghost Dansing said...

i tweeted the black swan i found here....