Sunday, January 24, 2010

Vegetarians at the playoffs!

Reaching into my invaluable GRIT cookbook, Athens' finest restaurant, to share some vegetarian recipes for this round of playoff fever. (Still waiting for the restaurant-owner to show up on the premises!)

For those of you looking for some decent football-fan eats, try this recipe for hummus... I love hummus with pretzels and/or wheat crackers, but anything is good to dip!

~*~

HUMMUS FROM THE GRIT!


2 cans (15.5 oz) chickpeas (aka garbanzo beans) -- drained, save liquid
1/2 medium red onion, finely chopped
2 scant teaspoons powdered cumin
3/4 teaspoon black pepper
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon minced fresh garlic
1/3 cup tahini (sesame seed butter/paste)

Puree all ingredients except chickpea liquid in food processor or blender. Gradually add the minimum amount of chickpea liquid required to give the mixture a thick, creamy, smooth consistency. Blend/mix until all graininess is gone. Cover and refrigerate at least one hour. Serve cool in pitas sliced in half with shredded cabbage, cucumbers and carrots.

Yields approx 4 cups, or enough for 6 pita sandwiches (or an afternoon of 2-4 football fans idly dipping over the course of several hours... depending on appetite-levels, of course).

Keeps about 3 days refrigerated.

7 comments:

Daisy said...

My Mommeh thinks that sounds delicious! They found this little Mediterranean bistro they go to every month that serves a platter of hummus, falafel balls, "pickles", Mediterranean salad, babaganoush, soup and pita bread.

JoJo said...

YUM!!!!!!!! I used to make my own hummus but the blender never did a good enough job of mashing up the chick peas. So I just buy it already made now.

CrackerLilo said...

Hummus is one of my favorite things for game/race days, too. I posted a recipe for it last month at my weird hockey-and-cocktails blog. It's really nice, because non-vegetarians will happily eat it as well as vegetarians and it's, for lack of a better word, fun. This looks like a good recipe, except I never save the liquid. I like the idea of using red onion in it.

sheila said...

I love chickpeas, but I don't care for hummis. How weird is that? Maybe it's the cumin? Maybe I should leave that out next time.

Politicalguineapig said...

I hate cumin with a firey passion. I think you can make it without the cumin, and it'd be just fine.

La Lubu said...

Good hummus recipe. I like mine with roasted red peppers on top!!

SEO 成果報酬 said...

Oh, my first time to make and eat such food, delicious!