Friday, August 14, 2009

Squeaky's out! Official Manson Family open thread

Wacky Squeaky is out of prison today!

Lynette 'Squeaky' Fromme, Manson Follower and Would-Be Assassin Released from Prison

Lynette "Squeaky" Fromme, the would-be assasin who took aim at President Gerald Ford 34 years ago and the chief disciple of serial killer Charles Manson, was released from a federal prison in Texas this morning, said a prison spokeswoman.

Fromme, 60, had previously completed her sentence for the assassination attempt in July 2008, but was ordered to serve additional time for a 1987 prison escape.

"Lynette Fromme was released about 8 a.m. today," prison spokeswoman Maria Douglas told ABCNews.com. She had finished her term at from the Federal Medical Center Carswell in Fort Worth, Texas.

Fromme took aim at Ford with a semi-automatic .45-caliber pistol Sept. 5, 1975. There were four bullets in the gun's magazine, but none in the chamber and an alert Secret Service agent grabbed the gun from Fromme.

At the time of the assassination attempt, Manson and several of his followers were serving life terms for killing nine people in his grisly Helter Skelter plot to start a race war.

Fromme told her defense attorney that she targeted Ford because she wanted to garner attention for a new trial for Manson.
Since I know everything (really) about the Manson murders, ask me anything. For a lifelong scandalmonger like myself, the loooong, far-reaching tentacles of the Manson Family (The Beach Boys! Angela Lansbury's daughter!) were like freaking Fort Knox. I've read all the major books, and not a few of the minor ones.

I am also familiar with all of the attendant conspiracy theories, such as Roman Polanski being a possible satanist, etc.

Consider this an open Charlie thread! No outright gore, please. Article/post linkage welcome!

EDIT: Wikipedia does not include GARY HINMAN in their list of Manson Family victims. WHY NOT? No way to edit, or I'd include him. :(

10 comments:

JoJo said...

Anything you need or want to know about Manson and the Family, just ask. I have had a morbid obsession with them since the mid-80's when I first saw "Helter Skelter" on TV. I'm intrigued that Squeaky is getting out of prison. I really never thought they'd let her out. Watch her make a beeline to wherever Charlie is incarcerated, which I think is Corcoran.

JoJo said...

Sorry, I misread what you wrote, I thought you said you DIDN'T know anything about the case. LOL

Gary Hinman should be included on the list of Family vics, just like Shorty Shea and Christopher "Zero"; and lord knows who else.

Have you seen the recent specials where they interview Gypsy? And Barbara Hoyt? Barbara lives in this area, I believe.

sheila said...

I always thought Squeaky was one of the chicks that was busted for murdering Sharon Tate, lol. That book/movie scared the hell out me as a young kid.

Freaky dude man.

DaisyDeadhead said...

Jojo, damn, I missed Barbara, but I caught Gypsy's interview! Damn, she looks like any regular middle-aged woman now. Kinda scary to think that she blends in so easily.

yinyang said...

Well, as far as I can tell, there isn't a Wikipedia page for Gary Hinman, so there's no way for him to be included in any categories.

mikeb302000 said...

I've always been fascinated by this case too. I'll look forward to reading the comments on this thread to learn more.

One of my favorite little items is one of the most recent about Manson passing a note to Phil Spector.

Vanessa said...

I CANNOT BELIEVE Squeaky Fromme is out of prison. I fully expect her to be seen shouting Birther slogans at a town hall rally any minute now.

I did a huge research project on the Manson Family when I was in high school, and have been mildly obsessed with them ever since.

Marion said...

I read Helter Skelter in my twenties; it frightened me so badly I couldn't sleep without lights on here and there for awhile. I saw Squeaky on TV and she came across as very middle-class, polite and intelligent. Scary. I wonder where she'll live?

Anonymous said...

You should be able to edit the wiki to include him, whether Gary has a wiki page or not. Just need to include references at the bottom of the page. These reference can be offline literature, but you need the page numbers, book title, author, and preferably a direct paragraph so's the info isn't considered specious, et cetera. Editing wiki does get a bit tricksy, though. If you've got the info handy, I can take some time out and edit myself, I'm signed up there.

-A.W.

deerfieldparksouth said...

Gosh, there is a great deal of effective info here!