Thursday, June 4, 2009

What happens is already written

Well damn... two more obituaries I should write, but can't bring myself to do it.

David Carradine (via Twitter and NYT) apparently a suicide at age 72.

Koko Taylor (via Onyx Lynx) had a long, full life and died at age 80.

I loved both of these great artists and felt like I knew them.


Goodbye, old friends. I've enjoyed your presence throughout my life.


"What happens is already written..." (Kung Fu)

Koko Taylor - Wang Dang Doodle


John Powers said...

I saw Koko Taylor perform a few times, at least once at a night club in McKees Rocks. In the NYT obituary there was mention that she moved to Chicago when she was 18 with her soon to be husband Robert "Pops" Taylor. I remember that Pops was a fixture at her concerts and lots of stories about him. I found it charming to discover they were teen-aged sweethearts.

Owen said...

Like Loudon Wainwright said: "It's been a tough day on the planet"

Great Wang Dang there; thanks Daisy !

Owen said...

errr, meant to quote "hard day on the planet" (not "tough") Whatever ! :-D

Dennis the Vizsla said...

I heard about David Carradine earlier. He just made an unauthorized guest appearance on my blog last week. :-(

mikeb302000 said...

Yes, sad business indeed. I didn't know Koko, but I feel like I grew up with David.

CrackerLilo said...

I don't feel any connection with either of these artists, but I empathize with those like you who do. It looks like David Carradine is a guest on a new show on Fox called "Mental" next week, if you're interested in watching him perform one last time. (I know I have a hard time watching recently deceased actors perform, so if you're in that camp too, I understand.)

seitzk said...

Hey - just wanted to put this out there.

DaisyDeadhead said...

Thanks seitzk, I commented over there... actually it turned into the obituary I should have written! I honestly didn't know how to address the whole Kung Fu-is-racist angle, so the link is extremely helpful--thanks so much!

Advise my readers to high-tail it over to Racialicious and read the post and accompanying great comments.

Mista Jaycee said...

Good Night to both!

cornerofhope said...

Well, I don't really suppose this is likely to have effect.