Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Thanksgiving Dead Air: Alice's Restaurant

What kind of hippie am I, that I didn't post this last year?

Happy Thanksgiving, and if you have 20 minutes, have a listen. (Remember, it's all true!) I apologize for Arlo's rather impersonal use of the word "faggots"--which might be why I didn't use it last year. This was recorded in 1967, two years before Stonewall. In the newer version, Arlo quit saying it. I am offering the original here, for historical accuracy.

See you when I get back from Atlanta, where I am taking myself and my clunky leg cast. It's healing VERY slowly, which is undoubtedly due to the fact that it wasn't properly set for 5 days. Argh. But I know if I don't go, I'll feel worse than if I do!

PS: LEAVE THE TURKEYS ALONE, they are innocent and didn't do anything to you!

~*~

Alice's Restaurant, part 1 - Arlo Guthrie



Alice's Restaurant, part 2

12 comments:

ArrogantWorm said...

Blast it! I was gonna post that one t'morrow, you beat me to it. But! I'm working up something for Christmas. ^.^ Lovely song, by the way, hope your leg heals soon now that it's set properly.

Bryce said...

happy thanksgiving!

John Powers said...

Counting things I'm thankful for, I count you and discovering Daisy's Dead Air. Happy Thanksgiving.

Foxy Lady said...

Hi, nice blog!
I love Thanksgiving day very much. I found a site with a lot of things about Thanksgiving. Maybe this will interest you: All about Thanskgiving Day!!! :)

Octogalore said...

Have a great time and fast recovery. And check your email!

Jackie said...

Wishing you and your family a wonderful Thanksgiving.

mikeb302000 said...

Happy Thanksgiving to my favorite hippy.

Dave Dubya said...

Happy Thanksgiving, along with healing thoughts to you.

After your example and Palin's Turkey "pardon", I'm much more inclined to go vegan.

Take care of yourself.

sheila said...

Ahhhh, this is so funny because it seems like whenever we take the hour trip to my moms on the holidays, we hear this song on the radio! Shane and I happily sing along and the kids listen and chuckle. It's almost like a weird tradition!

ZenDenizen said...

Hope you had a good holiday and that your leg is doing better!

JoJo said...

Haven't listened to this in ages and ages!!!

YogaforCynics said...

Yes, the "faggots" line is unfortunate, except that it is in the context of "faggots" not being taken into the military--so, personally, I think Arlo should keep it, while mentioning the number of Farsi and Arabic translators who've been kicked out of the military since the late '90's--clearly, there is one thing worse than terrorist attacks: terrorist attacks being foiled by gay people!