Saturday, October 25, 2008

Local Grandmother Claims Doll Says 'Islam Is Light'

At Left: An innocent doll? Or an agent of Islamofascism? You decide! (photo credit from Mattel)


~*~


Think you've heard it all? Guess again!


Woman Hears Hidden Message From Granddaughter's Doll


GREENVILLE, S.C. -- An Upstate grandmother said on Friday that there's a hidden message coming from a baby doll she bought recently.

At first the baby giggles and says the word "mama."

But at the end, Ann Ward said she swears she can hear the words, "Islam is the Light."

While she has no problem with religions different from her own, she said she doesn't want her 14-month-old granddaughter saying something they don't believe.

Ward said it's not unusual for her to spoil her only granddaughter. The child even has her own room in Ward's house.

"This is her little play stuff that she plays with," Ward said of her granddaughter's toys.

So Ward said, when she saw the doll, she couldn't resist buying it.

"I would hope this would be a doll that she would want to carry," she said.

Built with a motion sensor, the Little Mommy Cuddle 'N Coo doll makes noises when something moves near it.

Sometimes it coos, but Ward said she started hearing something else.

"My theory is that it's saying, 'Islam is the Light,'" Ward said.

She said she couldn't believe what she was hearing, so she listened to it over and over again before taking it to work for another opinion.

"When I got that many opinions and everybody's saying they're hearing the same thing, then that's when I'm thinking I don't want her to have the doll," Ward said.

Mattel makes the doll. In a statement, Mattel said, "The only scripted word the doll says is 'mama.' To avoid any potential misinterpretation, we have eliminated that segment of the sound file from future production."

Ward said she plans to bring her doll back to the store.

"I don't want her saying the first doll she got was saying something we don't agree with," Ward said.

When the time comes, Ward said she wants to teach her granddaughter about other religions, but she doesn't want that lesson learned from a doll.

Mattel said anyone with questions or concerns about the doll can call their consumer relations center
.
Note: The accompanying WYFF video can't be beat. (This will only be available for a short period; go to linked video page and choose story from the indexed selections.)

Halloween really brings them out of the woodwork, yes?

----------------
Listening to: The Volebeats - Radio Flyer
via FoxyTunes

17 comments:

Daisy said...

You never know what your doll could be saying. Maybe it says other things if you play it backwards...

I wish I had the Barbie that said "Math is hard!"

ArrogantWorm said...

Most people, if they weren't previously told what a doll was supposed to say, your brain would fill in the gaps of what you're sure you heard with possible letters so the sounds turn in to words, or the garbled words turn in to -different- words. Like the phone game. My sister had a doll at one time that I could've sworn said faggot. Looked it up, that's not what it said, but the voice was garbled a bit, as all (most?) dolls voices are, so your brain tries to 'clear it up'. For someone so considerate of other religions not being foisted on her granddaughter, I bet she won't be speaking up about all those Jesus Loves You bracelets, bible coloring books and Footsteps in the Sand memorabilia that everyone else's kids that aren't Christian are duty bound to encounter as gifts and baskets. And let's not forgot songs. If that stuff's fine to be on shelves, so's a doll mumbling something that someone misinterprets as 'Islam is light'. If one is perfectly fine, so is the other. If I wanted to be really pissy, I'd ask why she bought a doll that only says mommy instead of mommy and daddy so the kid absorbs a bit less gender bias that I'm charitably assuming she doesn't believe in, much like religious discrimination. But then, I've never heard a doll say daddy or a gender neutral pronoun (although I think a gender neutral pronoun could be squeezed in there relatively innocuously, work those subconsciouses), so I guess we're not doing so hot on updating kids' toys in either direction. Should go back to lincoln logs, I loved those...And legos, I miss legos.

ArrogantWorm said...

- Note, I wouldn't miss legos so much if they weren't so damned expensive. And I dislike the kits, can't use my imagination with 'em much, the stuff is already 'pre built'.

ArrogantWorm said...

..I mean, Islam and such has been a slur in the media so much these past many years ('specially with the election) I'd be surprised if a lot of people didn't somehow attribute a 'pushing on others' aspect to the fairly unintelligible mutterings of a plastic construction. The great irony is that it's almost Christmas. If people want to see the pushing of a religion in their surroundings, look no farther, stores are rife with it. The reindeer and snowmen aren't exactly how the holiday is supposed to be celebrated, but I blame that fiasco on marketing. I'm gonna go find something for my headache, seems to be getting the best of me/

Renee said...

People are just overly paranoid. When the doll turns into Chucky then you have something to worry about.

Oh BTW you have been tagged Daisy.

Anonymous said...

if you didn't link the tv station i'd think you made this up! :O

ArrogantWorm said...

...Also, I wish I had that Barbie that claimed math is hard. Be a great talking piece to swerve those younger kids into early introduction about rights and sexism. I wish the doll did say Islam is the light too, though, could pair it with another religious themed toy and it would be another good intro to rights and tolerance. But a baby doll discussing religion is a bit odd, might want to change the doll to something older. Hmz.

JoJo said...

"The girl with colitis goes by"

"'Scuse me, while I kiss this guy".

LOL. Oh wait, gotta go, my toaster is talking to me....

Bryce said...

LMAO! hilarious and sad-but mostly hilarious

CrackerLilo said...

If you are obsessively fearful about something, you'll see and hear it everywhere. Unfortunately, some people really don't seem to get that.

YogaforCynics said...

I'd say that seeing their right wing theocratic racist dreams crumble brings them out of the woodwork....

Vanessa said...

If I were a child I would run screaming from the freaky robo-baby with whirring servos and jerky movements anyway.

Note to all grandparents: don't buy the toys that make the noise! Lol.

the fruitfemme said...

I totally believe these dolls have hidden messages. The dolls I had weren't talking about islam though. They were saying things like, "you will only be fulfilled if you find a man and take care of him just like you're taking care of me" or "aren't you trying to find a man yet??" or "self-actualization=being a mommy. Now go find a ken doll."

Mista Jaycee said...

The woman is delusional. Plus just for the record Isalm means Submission. It is an Abrahamic religion just like Christianity and Judism.
Jaycee

ArrogantWorm said...

Just submission? There's s'posed to be an understood 'to god' after it. I've been under the interpretation that the word Islam meant a type of peace, that of surrendering your will to God's own. Y'do wonder where she's getting her 'It's so different!' spiel from, though.

David Wornica said...

I think her "bible belt" must have been a little too tight.

Vanessa said...

arrogantworm: Islam means "to submit." Muslim is the (noun?) form meaning "submitter" or "one who submits."

That's why the word "Islamist" always bugs me, because it's grammatically incorrect!