Monday, August 25, 2008

I am guest blogging at Feministe this week...

... and next. I didn't want to say anything about that until I knew for certain I wouldn't botch it beyond all recognition. (Wordpress, which I had not had the pleasure of meeting before.)

I didn't botch it; it's more or less readable and I didn't frighten the horses:

TIME OUT FOR GRANDMA

... and my beloved grandbaby! (Photo at left) Yes, I posted her photo on FEMINISTE, utterly shameless. But I was also thinking of acting stereotypically "old" in some way, to emphasize that there is (haha, you guys!) A GENERATION GAP (I had to greatly restrain myself from using that Austin Powers-era phrase over there, I love it so much). One thing old people do, is pester everyone endlessly with toxically-cute photos of their grandchildren, so I just had to do it. Also, I love the idea of my granddaughter's photo on a cutting-edge feminist blog, quoted in the New York fucking Times, okay?!

I realized, shortly after Jill asked me, that I would not be able to resist posting it. I love seeing my granddaughter there! (((sniff)))

~*~

Meanwhile, I am getting all kinds of emails from Joe Biden and Michelle Obama! Am I important or WHAT? Michelle tells me to tell all my friends (I guess she means you guys) to go here and watch the little movie. I like how they purposefully gear that stuff to political wonk-heads and election junkies; they know we love that unrehearsed backstage patter and insider-vibe.

How do they know this? Highly-trained focus groups?


----------------
Listening to: Sonic Youth - Teen Age Riot
via FoxyTunes

12 comments:

JoJo said...

How CUTE!!!!!! Think of all the cool wisdom you can impart on her!

Bryce said...

good work!

eclexia said...

Grr. Don't get me started on the convention right now. I'm irked with CNN, again. The Kennedy speech brought my wife and I to tears though, saps that we are.

John Powers said...

I love your writing and one of the best things is how you get that on the Internet you send readers away with cool links. What a great list of blogs you give!

Your point is good about older bloggers. But you probably know that people are "blogging" on social software sites where there's a bit more control about their audience. So I think there is an underground of older women blogging already. Something is to get more of them to comment and participate on blogs.

It's great how you're linking together people who wouldn't otherwise now what their missing. Brilliant post at Feministe. We're all suckers for cute baby pictures ;-)

Sugarmag said...

cute picture! I am going to go check out your essay on Feministe now...

Daisy said...

Ah, she is adorable! And I can see she has good fashion sense, because I love her outfit.

mikeb302000 said...

I just have to disagree with one thing: you are NOT old.

Cute kid, though.

Congrats on the guest-blogging gig. You're gonna be great.

ArrogantWorm said...

You've a very cute grandkid there, m'a sucker for kids. They can generally tell, too =/ Thank you for the 'new' blog links! I think there's probably a lot of 'old' bloggers out there, but a lot of the women don't put their age because age is discredited so often. Makes no sense what people consider old, though. Whole concept of age being unattractive is weird.

thene said...

Gah, I've been getting those emails too! I did NOT ask for them. Would block entire campaign but am too curious.

Daisy said...

THANK YOU ALL!!! Most assuredly, I have the prettiest red-headed grandbaby in all the land!

shadocat said...

She is just lovely---and I say this as one grandma to another!

Hope I have a redheaded grandchild someday (I'm a redhead too).

John Powers said...

LOL about that "old" bit, it's hard for me to link to women bloggers I know are about your age with "old" attached. Being a little older than you myself I do recognize the "old" setting in, but avoid pointing it out first. Today one of my blogs linked to Millie Garfield's blog. She's 83. From her blog linked to The Ageless Project which has a great list of participating blogs.