Sunday, September 30, 2007

Strange days have found us

Five amazing ladies took me to the Body Mind Spirit Expo (BMSExpo) in Asheville, North Carolina, this weekend. Predictably, it was rather strange*, but I enjoyed it. We also managed to hit one of my favorite stores (Instant Karma), and chowed down at the Mellow Mushroom.

My aura was photographed, and it was white. This is considered pretty good! Dr Bluehawks Stec announced I was an "empathic" after inspecting my palms and pointing to the isosceles triangles in place of my lifelines (always did wonder about those). He pronounced these pyramids instead of mere isosceles triangles...and then said, rather strangely, that I was "from somewhere else."** I probably should have asked him if he meant another galaxy, planet or possibly just reincarnated from afar, but I was too freaked out. I'm from somewhere else? Well, this explains a lot!

Adding to this, was the reaction of the five aforementioned amazing ladies: "This is news? We already knew that!"

My chakras are balanced, too, but I have "low physical energy." Again, stop the presses! Still, it was undeniably fascinating. I didn't see anyone else get a white aura! (((Church lady superior dance)))

Some of the participants at the expo, whom I particularly enjoyed:

Natural Options Aromatherapy was a fun place to stop and sniff during the expo, as was the aromatic Young Living, which provides high-quality essential oils and soaps.

LifeWorks School of Coaching features one Farra Allen: “I am a Coach for Personal Growth, Business and Life Transitions. I have developed a tried and true method over time, The Passion Design System™” Why this involves the use of so many capitals, is anyone’s guess.

Turquoise Temple offers crystals and other stones, as well as Himalayan salt lamps and bath salts.

Life Bliss Foundation is a "worldwide movement for meditation and healing. With 1000 centres in 33 countries and 30 Nithyananda Meditation Academies (NMAs) around the globe, the Nithyananda mission offers myriad meditation programs. It works towards transformation of humanity and global peace through transformation of the individual."

There were several spiritual counselors/psychic readers in attendance, including: Sunny Wang, Darlene Liedig, hypnotherapist Sharie Karrinne Camren, and Florida spiritual healer Ellen Wachs.

A few other therapies, which I didn't check out: Dr Cheri Holloway, a practitioner of “Energy Medicine,” and Barry Helm, a practitioner of Resurrection Therapy™. There was also an unfamiliar (to me) body-work offered to BMSExpo participants by practitioners from the Ascending Hall Taoist Temple. Apparently, this was Tao dance, a manifestation of "Taoist Inner Alchemy" as described in the book Spiritual Anatomy: Your Journey Through Nehemiah's Dreamgates by Master Tao Haung. The body-work involved twisting a prone individual into a variety of pretzel-positions, freeing the spirit. Several of these positions made me grimace, although the subjects appeared to be very serene and relaxed.

Several publishers were also present, including Magic Mountain press, Oracle 20-20 magazine (particularly fun reading), Innerchange magazine and of course, the folks everyone should be paying royalties to, the Christian Science Publishing Society

Most of these folks are on the New Age circuit, but there were also a few (more or less) local folks exhibiting: Teahouse Atlanta, Asheville Healing Arts (acupuncture and herbs) and the Bella Haven spiritual retreat, which is right next door in Spartanburg, SC.

Everybody has to draw the line somewhere, and I draw mine at the Gnomes. Dr. Christian von Lahr***, medium and author, was there to talk about the gnomes, and how to be their friends. He has written several gnome books, one of which was "...channeled directly from the Gnomes, Elves, Fairies and Leprechauns themselves" and, needless to say, has been "the #1 seller on the New Age Expo circuit, and has received wide aclaim (sic) in the media." One of his books (helpfully titled Seeing and Sensing Gnomes) explains how to find the gnomes, which he claims are among us.

Now, tell me, if they ARE among us, do you really want to talk to them?****

*cue Doors, Strange Days
**cue Doors, People are Strange
***cue Electric Light Orchestra, Strange Magic
****cue Cream, Strange Brew